Apr 18, 2014, 12:46 AM EDT
The longest game in St. Louis Blues franchise history might just mark one of their biggest wins in decades.
Alexander Steen scored 26 seconds into a third overtime period to give the Blues a 4-3 win and a 1-0 series lead over the Chicago Blackhawks. Neither team will get much time to rest up, as Game 2 takes place in St. Louis on Saturday.
The game started off fast and furious. Both teams combined for five goals in the first period, with the Blackhawks taking a 3-2 lead into the first intermission. Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane didn’t look all that rusty – at least early on – as Toews collected two assists while Kane gave the Blackhawks a temporary lead.
Broadly speaking, the game began with “Blackhawks hockey” and then arguably transitioned to a style that might be friendlier to the Blues.
Then again, shots totals would argue that Ryan Miller‘s performance improved as the game went along, rather than the style of play really changing. One things for sure, though: things became more physical.
Toews was the target of some abuse, but seemed to shake things off. Time will tell if he goes back on the injury list, though.
Miller definitely bounced back in the game, stopping 39 out of 42 shots. Corey Crawford was great in his own right in making 48 out of 52 stops, yet his career playoff overtime record dropped to 8-7 after tonight.
Miller got the win, but he definitely got some help from his teammates, too:
The Blackhawks kept that 3-2 lead through plenty of game time, but Jaden Schwartz scored with less than two minutes left in the third period:
Chalk it up to two fantastic teams, their rivalries or it being early in the postseason, but the two teams didn’t slow down a whole lot in the two overtime periods (and change into the third). There were plenty of near-misses, including a Patrick Sharp semi-breakaway that might haunt the talented sniper.
The Blackhawks have shown the will to fight back from tough losses, so one can argue that this was more important to St. Louis than Chicago. Either way, this series already seems like it might live up to the hype of being one of the best first-round matchups one can imagine.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Get out the swear jar.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Yeah, he was.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
It finally happened and it happened with a late goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Caught Taylor Hall with a heavy hit earlier in the game.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Now, can they hang on for the win?
Oct 20, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT
Talking about the Oilers perhaps trading one of their young players.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Heavy hit along the boards.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
That’s about as much trash talk as you’re going to get from Willie D.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
Alex Killorn is – again, this is based on same report – out of the lineup.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
“He’s got to go and maybe play out of the spotlight that we have here in Toronto.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I’ve played three games and it hasn’t gone even close to the way it needs to be.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Leafs add some organizational depth.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Colorado, getting some good news in goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Caps are off on a road trip to Western Canada.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Coach Cooper cites the long trip to Edmonton from Syracuse as reason to keep the rookie out against the Oilers.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
A fairly well-deserved honor.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Matt Bartkowski expected to step in tomorrow versus San Jose.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Already has seven points in seven games this season.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)