Apr 18, 2014, 12:53 AM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche looked buried. The Minnesota Wild looked in control. Not so fast. This is the Stanley Cup playoffs, after all.
The Avalanche erased a two-goal third-period and then won by a final score of 5-4 in overtime. Paul Stastny, who scored with 14 seconds remaining in regulation to send the game to extra time, also recorded the winner.
Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy, showing no hesitancy for a bold move when he thought necessary, pulled Semyon Varlamov in favor of the extra attacker with over 2:30 remaining in the third period as Colorado searched for the equalizer.
No guts, no glory, as the saying goes.
“We almost did it at four minutes. That went through our minds,” said Roy of his decision to pull Varlamov for the extra skater.
“At one point they had their third pairing on the ice, and it was ‘should we take a shot at it,’ but I thought it was really pushing it, but at the same time you have to go with your gut feeling.
“This is what the playoffs are – sometimes you have to see things, and I thought that’s what we did as a team.”
Stastny provided that, and then played the hero again in the overtime. The Avalanche now lead the best-of-seven series 1-0.
Nathan MacKinnon, making his Stanley Cup playoff debut at just 18 years of age, showed once again why he’s getting such strong consideration for rookie of the year. He had three assists in the win.
The Wild looked to be on their way to a win on the road, taking away home ice advantage, thanks to a two-goal cushion heading into the final period. Minnesota scored three times in the second period to jump ahead of Colorado.
Varlamov made 29 saves for the win.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted an Ilta-Sanomat story.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”
Sep 2, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Can he beat out Cam Talbot and Ben Scrivens?
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”
Sep 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
Another diamond in the rough?
Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
After missing most of last season with a back injury.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”
Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
They had strong attendance numbers last season too.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)