Apr 18, 2014, 12:53 AM EST
The Colorado Avalanche looked buried. The Minnesota Wild looked in control. Not so fast. This is the Stanley Cup playoffs, after all.
The Avalanche erased a two-goal third-period and then won by a final score of 5-4 in overtime. Paul Stastny, who scored with 14 seconds remaining in regulation to send the game to extra time, also recorded the winner.
Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy, showing no hesitancy for a bold move when he thought necessary, pulled Semyon Varlamov in favor of the extra attacker with over 2:30 remaining in the third period as Colorado searched for the equalizer.
No guts, no glory, as the saying goes.
“We almost did it at four minutes. That went through our minds,” said Roy of his decision to pull Varlamov for the extra skater.
“At one point they had their third pairing on the ice, and it was ‘should we take a shot at it,’ but I thought it was really pushing it, but at the same time you have to go with your gut feeling.
“This is what the playoffs are – sometimes you have to see things, and I thought that’s what we did as a team.”
Stastny provided that, and then played the hero again in the overtime. The Avalanche now lead the best-of-seven series 1-0.
Nathan MacKinnon, making his Stanley Cup playoff debut at just 18 years of age, showed once again why he’s getting such strong consideration for rookie of the year. He had three assists in the win.
The Wild looked to be on their way to a win on the road, taking away home ice advantage, thanks to a two-goal cushion heading into the final period. Minnesota scored three times in the second period to jump ahead of Colorado.
Varlamov made 29 saves for the win.
Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
The waters are being tested with a ticket drive.
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Sidney Crosby and Corey Perry are just two of the players that have been inflicted by the NHL outbreak.
Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
And the NHL’s swift, significant response.
Dec 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
2014 was another painful year, but was it also one of progress?
Dec 25, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
The perfect storm that led to a shocking trade deadline captains swap between two teams looking to make serious playoff runs.
Dec 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
A major letdown in Sochi, followed by the Caps missing the playoffs.
Dec 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
One of the best performances in international hockey history.
Dec 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
Hockey mourned the loss of two of its most respected individuals.
Dec 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
It wasn’t the reason he was fired, but it sure was memorable.
Dec 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
After 22 years, the Finnish Flash called it a day.
Dec 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
From down 0-3 to winning it all.
Dec 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Over 105,000 descended on Ann Arbor for an unforgettable experience.
Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Even a disappointing Olympic finish can’t erase a star-making moment.
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Was quite the playoff run for L.A. and its 27-year-old defenseman.
Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Check back often. It’s an all-day thing.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
The goal was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)