Apr 17, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Of all the goalies in the NHL — and there were 97 that saw action this season — not one of them made more saves than Colorado’s Semyon Varlamov.
In total, the 25-year-old Russian stopped 1,867 shots, which was 132 more than the Stars’ Kari Lehtonen, who finished second in the category.
With all due respect to the Avs’ dynamic group of young forwards, goaltending was the biggest reason Colorado finished first in the Central Division. And beating Varlamov will be the biggest challenge for the Wild starting tonight at the Pepsi Center.
“We’ve done a scouting report. We’ve watched a lot of video. This is a great goalie,” said Minnesota coach Mike Yeo, per the StarTribune. “He’s very athletic, great side-to-side.”
Varlamov went 3-0-1 versus the Wild during the regular season, stopping 117 of 126 shots for a .929 save percentage. According to Yeo, time will be of the essence for Minnesota’s shooters.
“The one thing I believe with any great goalie is the quicker you shoot the puck, the better off you are,” he said. “He does a very good job of coming out and closing angles and making himself big in the net. The quicker you get the puck off your stick, the more net there is to shoot.
“We have to have a strong focus of making sure we’re putting a lot of traffic in front of him, making it difficult for him to come out and be aggressive on those shots.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 20
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)