Apr 17, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Of all the goalies in the NHL — and there were 97 that saw action this season — not one of them made more saves than Colorado’s Semyon Varlamov.
In total, the 25-year-old Russian stopped 1,867 shots, which was 132 more than the Stars’ Kari Lehtonen, who finished second in the category.
With all due respect to the Avs’ dynamic group of young forwards, goaltending was the biggest reason Colorado finished first in the Central Division. And beating Varlamov will be the biggest challenge for the Wild starting tonight at the Pepsi Center.
“We’ve done a scouting report. We’ve watched a lot of video. This is a great goalie,” said Minnesota coach Mike Yeo, per the StarTribune. “He’s very athletic, great side-to-side.”
Varlamov went 3-0-1 versus the Wild during the regular season, stopping 117 of 126 shots for a .929 save percentage. According to Yeo, time will be of the essence for Minnesota’s shooters.
“The one thing I believe with any great goalie is the quicker you shoot the puck, the better off you are,” he said. “He does a very good job of coming out and closing angles and making himself big in the net. The quicker you get the puck off your stick, the more net there is to shoot.
“We have to have a strong focus of making sure we’re putting a lot of traffic in front of him, making it difficult for him to come out and be aggressive on those shots.”
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 23
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 31
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)