Apr 17, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
If there’s anyone on the New York Rangers who knows what it takes to win the Stanley Cup, it’s Martin St. Louis.
As St. Louis and the Rangers head into Game 1 of their first round series with the Philadelphia Flyers tonight, the veteran forward says he’s focused on helping the team advance instead of worrying about getting his own game jump started as Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun shares.
“It’s not about me putting up some numbers. It’s about this team going to the next round. That’s what my focus is on. I just try to play the game like everybody else and I’d like to be successful along the way, but the most important thing here is winning games. This is playoff time. This is where you get judged and I’m excited about that.”
St. Louis said he feels good going into the playoffs and that he had more opportunities to score later in the season. In 19 games with the Rangers, he had one goal and seven assists.
That kind of poor production isn’t the norm for St. Louis, but adjusting to a new team has taken him a bit longer than he hoped. There’s no better time than the playoffs to find your stride though and that’s what the Rangers are hoping happens, especially against a hated rival like the Flyers.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 3
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 13
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)