Apr 17, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
If there’s anyone on the New York Rangers who knows what it takes to win the Stanley Cup, it’s Martin St. Louis.
As St. Louis and the Rangers head into Game 1 of their first round series with the Philadelphia Flyers tonight, the veteran forward says he’s focused on helping the team advance instead of worrying about getting his own game jump started as Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun shares.
“It’s not about me putting up some numbers. It’s about this team going to the next round. That’s what my focus is on. I just try to play the game like everybody else and I’d like to be successful along the way, but the most important thing here is winning games. This is playoff time. This is where you get judged and I’m excited about that.”
St. Louis said he feels good going into the playoffs and that he had more opportunities to score later in the season. In 19 games with the Rangers, he had one goal and seven assists.
That kind of poor production isn’t the norm for St. Louis, but adjusting to a new team has taken him a bit longer than he hoped. There’s no better time than the playoffs to find your stride though and that’s what the Rangers are hoping happens, especially against a hated rival like the Flyers.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 16
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)