Apr 17, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
If there’s anyone on the New York Rangers who knows what it takes to win the Stanley Cup, it’s Martin St. Louis.
As St. Louis and the Rangers head into Game 1 of their first round series with the Philadelphia Flyers tonight, the veteran forward says he’s focused on helping the team advance instead of worrying about getting his own game jump started as Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun shares.
“It’s not about me putting up some numbers. It’s about this team going to the next round. That’s what my focus is on. I just try to play the game like everybody else and I’d like to be successful along the way, but the most important thing here is winning games. This is playoff time. This is where you get judged and I’m excited about that.”
St. Louis said he feels good going into the playoffs and that he had more opportunities to score later in the season. In 19 games with the Rangers, he had one goal and seven assists.
That kind of poor production isn’t the norm for St. Louis, but adjusting to a new team has taken him a bit longer than he hoped. There’s no better time than the playoffs to find your stride though and that’s what the Rangers are hoping happens, especially against a hated rival like the Flyers.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)