Apr 17, 2014, 9:25 AM EST
If there’s anyone on the New York Rangers who knows what it takes to win the Stanley Cup, it’s Martin St. Louis.
As St. Louis and the Rangers head into Game 1 of their first round series with the Philadelphia Flyers tonight, the veteran forward says he’s focused on helping the team advance instead of worrying about getting his own game jump started as Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun shares.
“It’s not about me putting up some numbers. It’s about this team going to the next round. That’s what my focus is on. I just try to play the game like everybody else and I’d like to be successful along the way, but the most important thing here is winning games. This is playoff time. This is where you get judged and I’m excited about that.”
St. Louis said he feels good going into the playoffs and that he had more opportunities to score later in the season. In 19 games with the Rangers, he had one goal and seven assists.
That kind of poor production isn’t the norm for St. Louis, but adjusting to a new team has taken him a bit longer than he hoped. There’s no better time than the playoffs to find your stride though and that’s what the Rangers are hoping happens, especially against a hated rival like the Flyers.
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 8
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 3
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 8
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 30
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 37
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (37)