Apr 17, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
If there’s anyone on the New York Rangers who knows what it takes to win the Stanley Cup, it’s Martin St. Louis.
As St. Louis and the Rangers head into Game 1 of their first round series with the Philadelphia Flyers tonight, the veteran forward says he’s focused on helping the team advance instead of worrying about getting his own game jump started as Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun shares.
“It’s not about me putting up some numbers. It’s about this team going to the next round. That’s what my focus is on. I just try to play the game like everybody else and I’d like to be successful along the way, but the most important thing here is winning games. This is playoff time. This is where you get judged and I’m excited about that.”
St. Louis said he feels good going into the playoffs and that he had more opportunities to score later in the season. In 19 games with the Rangers, he had one goal and seven assists.
That kind of poor production isn’t the norm for St. Louis, but adjusting to a new team has taken him a bit longer than he hoped. There’s no better time than the playoffs to find your stride though and that’s what the Rangers are hoping happens, especially against a hated rival like the Flyers.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)