St. Louis focused on team rather than own struggles

Apr 17, 2014, 9:25 AM EST

Martin St. Louis Getty Images

If there’s anyone on the New York Rangers who knows what it takes to win the Stanley Cup, it’s Martin St. Louis.

As St. Louis and the Rangers head into Game 1 of their first round series with the Philadelphia Flyers tonight, the veteran forward says he’s focused on helping the team advance instead of worrying about getting his own game jump started as Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun shares.

“It’s not about me putting up some numbers. It’s about this team going to the next round. That’s what my focus is on. I just try to play the game like everybody else and I’d like to be successful along the way, but the most important thing here is winning games. This is playoff time. This is where you get judged and I’m excited about that.”

St. Louis said he feels good going into the playoffs and that he had more opportunities to score later in the season. In 19 games with the Rangers, he had one goal and seven assists.

That kind of poor production isn’t the norm for St. Louis, but adjusting to a new team has taken him a bit longer than he hoped. There’s no better time than the playoffs to find your stride though and that’s what the Rangers are hoping happens, especially against a hated rival like the Flyers.

1. patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Keep it clean and focused, Marty. No more shots at Tampa Bay. No more ‘big market playoffs’ comments. You be good, and karma will be good to you.

2. ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:28 AM

for the second day of playoffs, where the hell is all the hockey talk? we burned out already?

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I was wondering the same thing. One comment here, a couple there. Where the hell is everybody?

• comeonnowguys - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Pens don’t play today. Off day for Pennsylvania Hockey Talk.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I’m assuming you meant to overlook the Flyers lol

but yeah, it’s usually more active than this at 10:30am.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I did make the mistake of asking Ducks fans several questions at what was 5AM pacific time though, so I guess that’s part of it too haha

• comeonnowguys - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Flyer fans only show up to troll Penguin articles.

It’s not unlike the silliness between both sides of the White Sox/Cubs existence.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM

oh yeah? who’s our toiletclown?

honestly, I don’t know how that’s what you see on this site. the “clown” Penguin fans tend to show up more on Flyers posts than clown Flyers fans turn up on Pens articles.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 17, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Chicago’s toiletclown? Oh, God I hope it’s not me.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches