Apr 17, 2014, 11:50 AM EST
The San Jose Sharks don’t care that so many people are picking them to lose to the Los Angeles Kings.
“Why are they picking L.A.? Because they won the Cup two years ago and beat us last year, I guess,” d-man Marc-Edouard Vlasic said, accurately, per ESPN.com. “People can pick who they want. We don’t care. It’s an evenly matched series. Last year went to seven [games], and this year I would expect the same. I don’t mind if everybody picks L.A. I’m here to win. We want to prove to ourselves that we can beat all the best teams.”
In reality, not “everybody” is picking the Kings. PHT staffers are split on the series, and online bookmaker Bovada actually made the higher-seeded Sharks, holders of home-ice advantage, a -145 favorite.
Last year, the home side won all seven games of the teams’ second-round series. This past regular season, San Jose’s 29-7-5 home record was the best in the West.
Still, there remains a feeling — one based largely on the club’s history of postseason disappointments — that the Sharks don’t have what it takes to go all the way.
Defenseman Dan Boyle has heard that theory many times from reporters.
“The only way to shut you guys up is to win it,” he said.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 14
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 48
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)