Apr 17, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks don’t care that so many people are picking them to lose to the Los Angeles Kings.
“Why are they picking L.A.? Because they won the Cup two years ago and beat us last year, I guess,” d-man Marc-Edouard Vlasic said, accurately, per ESPN.com. “People can pick who they want. We don’t care. It’s an evenly matched series. Last year went to seven [games], and this year I would expect the same. I don’t mind if everybody picks L.A. I’m here to win. We want to prove to ourselves that we can beat all the best teams.”
In reality, not “everybody” is picking the Kings. PHT staffers are split on the series, and online bookmaker Bovada actually made the higher-seeded Sharks, holders of home-ice advantage, a -145 favorite.
Last year, the home side won all seven games of the teams’ second-round series. This past regular season, San Jose’s 29-7-5 home record was the best in the West.
Still, there remains a feeling — one based largely on the club’s history of postseason disappointments — that the Sharks don’t have what it takes to go all the way.
Defenseman Dan Boyle has heard that theory many times from reporters.
“The only way to shut you guys up is to win it,” he said.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)