Apr 17, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
Well, on Thursday, he was the catalyst for the Rangers in their win over the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 1 of that Eastern Conference quarter-final. He scored once – the winner on a third-period power play, caused by a lack of discipline from Philadelphia – and added a pair of assists to help New York to a 4-1 victory and a 1-0 series lead.
Yet, prior to this post-season beginning, there was talk he could be a potential buyout candidate, which is similar to what he experienced a year ago.
“I believe that everything works out for a reason,” Richards told the New York Post. “I’m under contract to the Rangers and I’m going to put everything I have into playing for the Rangers until someone tells me that I’m not on the team anymore.”
Not sure that same speculation will persist if he has nights like he did Thursday in these playoffs.
Rangers’ head coach Alain Vigneault didn’t necessarily laud Richards’ leadership qualities following the win. It’s expected the veteran forward plays big.
“That’s what he’s here for,” said Vigneault, as per Katie Strang of ESPN New York.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 42
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)