Apr 17, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
Well, on Thursday, he was the catalyst for the Rangers in their win over the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 1 of that Eastern Conference quarter-final. He scored once – the winner on a third-period power play, caused by a lack of discipline from Philadelphia – and added a pair of assists to help New York to a 4-1 victory and a 1-0 series lead.
Yet, prior to this post-season beginning, there was talk he could be a potential buyout candidate, which is similar to what he experienced a year ago.
“I believe that everything works out for a reason,” Richards told the New York Post. “I’m under contract to the Rangers and I’m going to put everything I have into playing for the Rangers until someone tells me that I’m not on the team anymore.”
Not sure that same speculation will persist if he has nights like he did Thursday in these playoffs.
Rangers’ head coach Alain Vigneault didn’t necessarily laud Richards’ leadership qualities following the win. It’s expected the veteran forward plays big.
“That’s what he’s here for,” said Vigneault, as per Katie Strang of ESPN New York.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)