Apr 17, 2014, 11:36 PM EST
Well, on Thursday, he was the catalyst for the Rangers in their win over the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 1 of that Eastern Conference quarter-final. He scored once – the winner on a third-period power play, caused by a lack of discipline from Philadelphia – and added a pair of assists to help New York to a 4-1 victory and a 1-0 series lead.
Yet, prior to this post-season beginning, there was talk he could be a potential buyout candidate, which is similar to what he experienced a year ago.
“I believe that everything works out for a reason,” Richards told the New York Post. “I’m under contract to the Rangers and I’m going to put everything I have into playing for the Rangers until someone tells me that I’m not on the team anymore.”
Not sure that same speculation will persist if he has nights like he did Thursday in these playoffs.
Rangers’ head coach Alain Vigneault didn’t necessarily laud Richards’ leadership qualities following the win. It’s expected the veteran forward plays big.
“That’s what he’s here for,” said Vigneault, as per Katie Strang of ESPN New York.
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 1
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 3
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)