Apr 17, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
Well, on Thursday, he was the catalyst for the Rangers in their win over the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 1 of that Eastern Conference quarter-final. He scored once – the winner on a third-period power play, caused by a lack of discipline from Philadelphia – and added a pair of assists to help New York to a 4-1 victory and a 1-0 series lead.
Yet, prior to this post-season beginning, there was talk he could be a potential buyout candidate, which is similar to what he experienced a year ago.
“I believe that everything works out for a reason,” Richards told the New York Post. “I’m under contract to the Rangers and I’m going to put everything I have into playing for the Rangers until someone tells me that I’m not on the team anymore.”
Not sure that same speculation will persist if he has nights like he did Thursday in these playoffs.
Rangers’ head coach Alain Vigneault didn’t necessarily laud Richards’ leadership qualities following the win. It’s expected the veteran forward plays big.
“That’s what he’s here for,” said Vigneault, as per Katie Strang of ESPN New York.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)