Quick says Kings can win because they ‘hate to lose’

Apr 17, 2014, 9:53 AM EST

Jonathan Quick Getty Images

Los Angeles Kings goalie Jonathan Quick knows plenty about winning and losing in the postseason.

He was a Conn Smythe Trophy winner in 2012 when he led the Kings to the Stanley Cup, and he’s been the loser in a few playoff rounds to know that he doesn’t like the feeling very much.

As Jon Rosen of L.A. Kings Insider shares, Quick feels the Kings can get past the San Jose Sharks because winning isn’t the only motivation they’ve got.

We have a lot of guys that just hate to lose,” Quick said. “I think sometimes you have two great teams and one team loves to win and one team hates to lose and I feel like the team that hates to lose will end up winning more times than not. I think we’ve got a lot of those guys in the locker room. It’s something that’s a good quality to have, I think.”

The Kings and Sharks have faced each other in the playoffs two out of the past three seasons with the Sharks winning in six games in 2011 and the Kings winning in seven games in 2013.

Talking about losing with the Sharks involved is a bit tricky though since the Sharks have never gotten past the Western Conference Final. If there’s a team in this series that hates losing, it has to be San Jose.

1. patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 9:58 AM

” … in 2012 when he led the Kings to the Stanley Cup, and he’s been the loser in a few playoff rounds to know that he doesn’t like the feeling very much.”

Maybe I’m missing something. Wouldn’t that be just ONE playoff round since the 2012 Cup? That being to Chicago the WCFs last year?

• nightfireop - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM

well we made early exits in 2010 and 2011….course at that time we were being coached under terry murray. under darryl sutter however, we have been cup champs and west conf finals contendors.

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Okay. That makes sense. Thanks. My assumption was that “being the loser in a few” meant since 2012.

Parts of the post confused me, anyway. I’m still grappling with this sentence: “One way or the other, there’s going to be one really good and really unhappy team having their season ended early at the end of this.” It hurts my eyes to read that. (I know. I’m a pita.)

• blomfeld - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Stand Down Pat !

We Kings are ‘6&1′ in terms of playoff series won over the last two years, which is the absolute ‘best’ playoff record in the league today, bar none ! Also bear in mind that comrade Yerdon was liking wording this article in a somewhat ‘incendiary’ fashion in-order to evoke a reaction from us ? But that’s okay in my books as he’s clearly on ‘our’ side ! … same thing goes for comrade Brough ! :)

GO KINGS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Hey, blom. I’ve asked you before to leave me alone. You Stand Down! And stop correcting my comments.

2. flyerspsu - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Don’t count the kings out, they are built for the playoffs, don’t be surprised if they make a deep run

3. echech88 - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I know this quote sounds cool and all…but I’m pretty sure most NHL teams hate to lose at this point and that the Sharks of all teams probably hate the idea of falling short in the postseason quite a bit.

• wtfkwp - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I’d think they’d gotten used to it by now.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Winner!

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM

wtfkwp – did you see that you made it into an article yesterday? Jason called you ‘a real hit at parties.’ (I think so.)

Second to the last paragraph above the photo:

• wtfkwp - Apr 17, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Yeah, pat. He’s bent because I called his article BS, where he (jokingly or not) said the Kings were “lucky” to go 16-4, beating the 1st, 2nd and 3rd seed in conference. If you’re gonna roast someone, it should be truth-based. As I pointed out, he could have made a point that they could fail to score early and often–that they could lose 1-0 in overtime. He could have picked on some players that just aren’t producing. But no, he had to spout something completely unconnected with reality.

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Well, all that aside, I agree with Jason. I think you’d be a real hit at parties. (and I’m laughing as I’m typing this)

4. sjsharks66 - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:16 AM

wtfkwp I have been thinking the same thing for awhile. They are so used to falling short, they have become used to it. So when the get knocked off they just think “well, maybe next year”. They seem more determined this year. So I hope that’s not the case. Should be a great series!

• wtfkwp - Apr 17, 2014 at 12:51 PM

All joking aside, I expect a good series, and hope for a clean one, all around. I don’t think any sane person wants to see people hurt.

5. blomfeld - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:22 AM

“LIKE SHOOTING FISH IN A BARREL” …

So said a friend of mine (Meyer) only yesterday during a conversation which we were having about tonight’s opening game in SJ. I retorted to my friend that it might not be as easy as that for us Kings, to which he emphatically replied … “you just watch Blomfeld … … we’re gonna fill that stupid Shark’s net with rubber like it was a Good Year tire plant ! … yes sir ! … and then we’re gonna put the boots to that idiotic ‘plastic’ fish mouth which they’re so fond of skating out of !” …

So could this be a ‘fishing’ expedition for us Kings ? … one sure hopes so eh ? :)

GO KINGS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 22yearsagotoday - Apr 17, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Thumbs downs via jealous, boring bloggers.

• machosasquatcho - Apr 18, 2014 at 12:20 AM

wow.

It’s like a comment but stupider.

6. purpleguy - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Is there an NHL player in the playoffs that likes to lose? And this built for the playoffs stuff always makes me chuckle — any team that is good enough to make it here is built for the playoffs. Some just have better players.

7. sharksman - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:51 AM

No one likes to loose. This should be a real good series and It is the Sharks turn ! Go Sharks !

8. dipthatchip - Apr 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I can’t stand the Kings solely thanks to you Blomfield. Mission accomplished

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Well, I love the Kings in spite of Blomfeld. But, I get your drift.

• tved12 - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:17 PM

You’re telling me Dustin Brown doesn’t make you hate them at all, only Blomfeld?

There are many great reasons to hate the Kings!

9. aldog83 - Apr 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Brown & Richards….

Time to “Suit Up”!!!

Need ya to score if this is gonna work!

GKG!!!

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Any word about Doughty? After he injured his shoulder, he didn’t play the rest of the regular season. Without him, I don’t even want to think about the Kings’ chances.

• wtfkwp - Apr 17, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Dewey’s fine. He has been fine for at least a couple games. They just gave him some time off because they can. He’ll play tonight.

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Thanks, wtf. I just read an April 15th article on lakingsinsider.com. Dewey says he’s fine. Sutter says Dewey’s fine. I’m still worried about him. Quick, Kopitar, Dewey. Need all three to take the series.

10. skr213 - Apr 17, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I actually think this quote is key. When I see Thornton talking to the press after a loss, he’s never bothered. He’s Zen Joe. That bothers me. I want him to be a lot more mad. I want him to play with a lot more passion. Fake fights with Getzlaf aside, he never seems fired up in my eyes.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches