Apr 17, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Los Angeles Kings goalie Jonathan Quick knows plenty about winning and losing in the postseason.
He was a Conn Smythe Trophy winner in 2012 when he led the Kings to the Stanley Cup, and he’s been the loser in a few playoff rounds to know that he doesn’t like the feeling very much.
As Jon Rosen of L.A. Kings Insider shares, Quick feels the Kings can get past the San Jose Sharks because winning isn’t the only motivation they’ve got.
“We have a lot of guys that just hate to lose,” Quick said. “I think sometimes you have two great teams and one team loves to win and one team hates to lose and I feel like the team that hates to lose will end up winning more times than not. I think we’ve got a lot of those guys in the locker room. It’s something that’s a good quality to have, I think.”
The Kings and Sharks have faced each other in the playoffs two out of the past three seasons with the Sharks winning in six games in 2011 and the Kings winning in seven games in 2013.
Talking about losing with the Sharks involved is a bit tricky though since the Sharks have never gotten past the Western Conference Final. If there’s a team in this series that hates losing, it has to be San Jose.
One way or the other, there’s going to be one really good and really unhappy team having their season ended early at the end of this.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)