Apr 17, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Los Angeles Kings goalie Jonathan Quick knows plenty about winning and losing in the postseason.
He was a Conn Smythe Trophy winner in 2012 when he led the Kings to the Stanley Cup, and he’s been the loser in a few playoff rounds to know that he doesn’t like the feeling very much.
As Jon Rosen of L.A. Kings Insider shares, Quick feels the Kings can get past the San Jose Sharks because winning isn’t the only motivation they’ve got.
“We have a lot of guys that just hate to lose,” Quick said. “I think sometimes you have two great teams and one team loves to win and one team hates to lose and I feel like the team that hates to lose will end up winning more times than not. I think we’ve got a lot of those guys in the locker room. It’s something that’s a good quality to have, I think.”
The Kings and Sharks have faced each other in the playoffs two out of the past three seasons with the Sharks winning in six games in 2011 and the Kings winning in seven games in 2013.
Talking about losing with the Sharks involved is a bit tricky though since the Sharks have never gotten past the Western Conference Final. If there’s a team in this series that hates losing, it has to be San Jose.
One way or the other, there’s going to be one really good and really unhappy team having their season ended early at the end of this.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)