Apr 17, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues will be down two of their top-10 scoring forwards when they open their series against Chicago tonight at Scottrade — but will get one back.
T.J. Oshie and Patrik Berglund will be held out of action, head coach Ken Hitchcock confirmed on Thursday. Oshie has been sidelined since taking a high hit from Minnesota’s Mike Rupp last Thursday, while Berglund is out with a shoulder injury suffered against Dallas on Apr. 11.
The losses were offset by news that sophomore forward Vladimir Tarasenko would return to the lineup for the first time since Mar. 15. Tarasenko, who missed the last 15 games of the regular season after undergoing hand surgery, scored a career-high 21 goals this season.
But back to Oshie and Berglund for a minute.
Of the two, Oshie is the bigger loss — the U.S. Olympic standout finished second on the Blues in scoring this year, with 60 points, and was averaging close to 20 minutes per game.
Berglund will be missed in a large capacity as well, though. The Swedish center was one of St. Louis’ most-active faceoff men this year and is an active member of both the penalty kill and power play. What’s more, Berglund finished sixth on the team in goals this year, with 16.
With these two out, here’s what St. Louis’ lines looked like at the morning skate:
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)