Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
New York Rangers forward Carl Hagelin came up big for his team on Thursday. Sometimes that even means bleeding at the right time.
Philadelphia Flyers winger Jason Akeson‘s hi-stick drew blood on the Swedish speedster, nabbing a double-minor for the Rangers. The Blueshirts took advantage of that opportunity, turning a 1-1 tie into a crushing 3-1 lead in less than one minute. A (literally) wounded Hagelin poured metaphorical salt into the Flyers’ wounds by scoring a 4-1 goal, which ended up being the final score.
Here are clips for the two power-play goals:
The Rangers now have a 1-0 series lead against their heated rivals. They’ve also forced Flyers players to answer what must be an annoying question for at least a little longer, as the Rangers’ winning streak against Philly at Madison Square Garden extends to nine games (with a 35-10 cumulative score disparity).
As much as many will blame Akeson, the Flyers cannot be too happy about their efforts in the third period. Even giving some leeway for the stream of penalties Philly took, the team seemed to lose its composure and aggressiveness; the Rangers generated a 13-1 shot advantage in the final frame.
Overall, the Flyers only managed 15 shots on goal … the Rangers nearly matched that total in two different periods (14 in the first; 13 in the third).
It’s a staggering way for the Flyers to lose, as this one got away from them, yet one can definitely wonder what would have happened if that Akeson hi-stick didn’t happen or it wasn’t a double-minor. The bottom line is that it did happen and the Rangers took full advantage of that golden opportunity.
The Flyers face many questions, but fair or not, many will also wonder if the Flyers can afford to roll with Ray Emery instead of an injured Steve Mason in net. (Did you miss Flyers goalie storylines?)
Aug 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
It blows the Kings goaltender’s mind that he’s not talked about more, so let’s discuss him.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He used to have that role with the Calgary Flames.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
They signed him to a one-year deal while fellow breakout rookie Mark Stone got a three-year contract.
Aug 4, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Jim Benning follows through after calling him a “foundation piece.”
Aug 4, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Assuming of course Bill Foley succeeds in his attempt to bring the NHL to Sin City.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
Where should we set the bar post-Babcock?
Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
That didn’t work out for them.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Yes, it’s the inevitable, perennial Red Wings question.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
MLBAM will handle NHL.com, Center Ice, Game Center Live and the NHL Network in 2016.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Can Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek get it done, collectively?
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Adding a wealth of experience.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
The skilled Swede may or may not be ready to start the season.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s already made a positive impression on Jeff Blashill.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)