Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
New York Rangers forward Carl Hagelin came up big for his team on Thursday. Sometimes that even means bleeding at the right time.
Philadelphia Flyers winger Jason Akeson‘s hi-stick drew blood on the Swedish speedster, nabbing a double-minor for the Rangers. The Blueshirts took advantage of that opportunity, turning a 1-1 tie into a crushing 3-1 lead in less than one minute. A (literally) wounded Hagelin poured metaphorical salt into the Flyers’ wounds by scoring a 4-1 goal, which ended up being the final score.
Here are clips for the two power-play goals:
The Rangers now have a 1-0 series lead against their heated rivals. They’ve also forced Flyers players to answer what must be an annoying question for at least a little longer, as the Rangers’ winning streak against Philly at Madison Square Garden extends to nine games (with a 35-10 cumulative score disparity).
As much as many will blame Akeson, the Flyers cannot be too happy about their efforts in the third period. Even giving some leeway for the stream of penalties Philly took, the team seemed to lose its composure and aggressiveness; the Rangers generated a 13-1 shot advantage in the final frame.
Overall, the Flyers only managed 15 shots on goal … the Rangers nearly matched that total in two different periods (14 in the first; 13 in the third).
It’s a staggering way for the Flyers to lose, as this one got away from them, yet one can definitely wonder what would have happened if that Akeson hi-stick didn’t happen or it wasn’t a double-minor. The bottom line is that it did happen and the Rangers took full advantage of that golden opportunity.
The Flyers face many questions, but fair or not, many will also wonder if the Flyers can afford to roll with Ray Emery instead of an injured Steve Mason in net. (Did you miss Flyers goalie storylines?)
Oct 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Tremendous gesture from the Penguins organization.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT
NHL Insider joined Kathryn Tappen live in studio.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Blueliner’s had zero luck in the health department.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Two teams that, how should we say, care not for one another.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
“We had no choice but to.”
Oct 22, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
He won’t travel with the club for its upcoming three-game road swing through Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Charles Wang remains in charge until then.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Worth a reported $16 million.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Not clear yet if charges will be filed.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
More tough luck.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Just gotta work on the stuff in front of him now.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 22, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
He’ll be in for the Kings when they host Buffalo tomorrow.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Having already sat out last night’s win over Philly.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
No word yet on a makeup date.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Anders Lee on his way up?
Oct 22, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
He’ll join Norfolk on a PTO.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Senators still scheduled to host the Maple Leafs tonight.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Flyers-Blackhawks game.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 0
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 1
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 26
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)