Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
New York Rangers forward Carl Hagelin came up big for his team on Thursday. Sometimes that even means bleeding at the right time.
Philadelphia Flyers winger Jason Akeson‘s hi-stick drew blood on the Swedish speedster, nabbing a double-minor for the Rangers. The Blueshirts took advantage of that opportunity, turning a 1-1 tie into a crushing 3-1 lead in less than one minute. A (literally) wounded Hagelin poured metaphorical salt into the Flyers’ wounds by scoring a 4-1 goal, which ended up being the final score.
Here are clips for the two power-play goals:
The Rangers now have a 1-0 series lead against their heated rivals. They’ve also forced Flyers players to answer what must be an annoying question for at least a little longer, as the Rangers’ winning streak against Philly at Madison Square Garden extends to nine games (with a 35-10 cumulative score disparity).
As much as many will blame Akeson, the Flyers cannot be too happy about their efforts in the third period. Even giving some leeway for the stream of penalties Philly took, the team seemed to lose its composure and aggressiveness; the Rangers generated a 13-1 shot advantage in the final frame.
Overall, the Flyers only managed 15 shots on goal … the Rangers nearly matched that total in two different periods (14 in the first; 13 in the third).
It’s a staggering way for the Flyers to lose, as this one got away from them, yet one can definitely wonder what would have happened if that Akeson hi-stick didn’t happen or it wasn’t a double-minor. The bottom line is that it did happen and the Rangers took full advantage of that golden opportunity.
The Flyers face many questions, but fair or not, many will also wonder if the Flyers can afford to roll with Ray Emery instead of an injured Steve Mason in net. (Did you miss Flyers goalie storylines?)
Sep 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He’s wise to be patient with Carey Price cemented in the No. 1 spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
They previously visited Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Daniel Paille still looks for work.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $950K.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Friday’s interesting tidbits in one spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)