Apr 17, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf certainly isn’t feeling great a day after his face was lacerated by a shot from Dallas Stars forward Tyler Seguin – he didn’t skate on Thursday – but the bigger picture news is generally good for the star player.
For one thing, X-rays came up negative, although he does have a deep facial laceration. He’s expected to play in the Ducks’ Game 2 matchup on Friday.
Here’s video of the shot that hurt (but didn’t “injure” … technically) Getzlaf from Wednesday:
Getzlaf, 28, finished second overall in the NHL in points this season with 87 despite being limited to 77 games. He was masterful on Wednesday, too, scoring a goal and an assist in helping the Ducks build a 1-0 series lead via a 3-2 win.
While Bruce Boudreau pumped up Getzlaf’s leadership skills, Ben Lovejoy – aka the guy who many hockey fans might remember having colorful wounds on his face as a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins on HBO 24/7 – provided the best one-liner to NHL.com.
“It’s a scary situation,” Lovejoy said. “Luckily he’s married. He’s got a couple of kids. He’s not trying to impress anybody with his face.”
Aug 1, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT(Edit)
They still might avoid the ruling though.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT(Edit)
Sunny Mehta wrote two books on the card game, but he’s turned his attention to advanced statistics in sports.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT(Edit)
Lou Lamoriello says those SO struggles are “not a focus.”
Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT(Edit)
The team estimates he’ll miss two weeks of on-ice training.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT(Edit)
Ottawa’s offseason is receiving mixed reviews.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT(Edit)
He doesn’t know how to haggle.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT(Edit)
Dallas Stars version.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT(Edit)
Let’s make a big deal out of this, shall we?
Jul 31, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT(Edit)
A “well-deserved” honor, according to Ed Snider.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT(Edit)
Beginning with the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings. Click for the full 30-team schedule.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT(Edit)
Went 12-15-6 with a .913 save percentage last season for Ottawa.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 0
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)