Apr 17, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf certainly isn’t feeling great a day after his face was lacerated by a shot from Dallas Stars forward Tyler Seguin – he didn’t skate on Thursday – but the bigger picture news is generally good for the star player.
For one thing, X-rays came up negative, although he does have a deep facial laceration. He’s expected to play in the Ducks’ Game 2 matchup on Friday.
Here’s video of the shot that hurt (but didn’t “injure” … technically) Getzlaf from Wednesday:
Getzlaf, 28, finished second overall in the NHL in points this season with 87 despite being limited to 77 games. He was masterful on Wednesday, too, scoring a goal and an assist in helping the Ducks build a 1-0 series lead via a 3-2 win.
While Bruce Boudreau pumped up Getzlaf’s leadership skills, Ben Lovejoy – aka the guy who many hockey fans might remember having colorful wounds on his face as a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins on HBO 24/7 – provided the best one-liner to NHL.com.
“It’s a scary situation,” Lovejoy said. “Luckily he’s married. He’s got a couple of kids. He’s not trying to impress anybody with his face.”
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 2
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 12
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 53
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)