Apr 17, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf certainly isn’t feeling great a day after his face was lacerated by a shot from Dallas Stars forward Tyler Seguin – he didn’t skate on Thursday – but the bigger picture news is generally good for the star player.
For one thing, X-rays came up negative, although he does have a deep facial laceration. He’s expected to play in the Ducks’ Game 2 matchup on Friday.
Here’s video of the shot that hurt (but didn’t “injure” … technically) Getzlaf from Wednesday:
Getzlaf, 28, finished second overall in the NHL in points this season with 87 despite being limited to 77 games. He was masterful on Wednesday, too, scoring a goal and an assist in helping the Ducks build a 1-0 series lead via a 3-2 win.
While Bruce Boudreau pumped up Getzlaf’s leadership skills, Ben Lovejoy – aka the guy who many hockey fans might remember having colorful wounds on his face as a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins on HBO 24/7 – provided the best one-liner to NHL.com.
“It’s a scary situation,” Lovejoy said. “Luckily he’s married. He’s got a couple of kids. He’s not trying to impress anybody with his face.”
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)