Apr 17, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf certainly isn’t feeling great a day after his face was lacerated by a shot from Dallas Stars forward Tyler Seguin – he didn’t skate on Thursday – but the bigger picture news is generally good for the star player.
For one thing, X-rays came up negative, although he does have a deep facial laceration. He’s expected to play in the Ducks’ Game 2 matchup on Friday.
Here’s video of the shot that hurt (but didn’t “injure” … technically) Getzlaf from Wednesday:
Getzlaf, 28, finished second overall in the NHL in points this season with 87 despite being limited to 77 games. He was masterful on Wednesday, too, scoring a goal and an assist in helping the Ducks build a 1-0 series lead via a 3-2 win.
While Bruce Boudreau pumped up Getzlaf’s leadership skills, Ben Lovejoy – aka the guy who many hockey fans might remember having colorful wounds on his face as a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins on HBO 24/7 – provided the best one-liner to NHL.com.
“It’s a scary situation,” Lovejoy said. “Luckily he’s married. He’s got a couple of kids. He’s not trying to impress anybody with his face.”
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 28
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)