Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh

Apr 17, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT

Brayden Schenn, Ryan McDonagh AP

Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh missed the last five games of the season with a shoulder injury. Fully healthy or not, he’d better be ready to battle tonight, because the visitors from Philadelphia have put a big bulls eye on him.

“Yeah, he’s a little banged up,” Flyers forward Scott Hartnell said, per CSN Philly. “You definitely want to be physical on him. … You want to be clean and hard on him and make sure he is working hard for every inch of ice out there with or without the puck.”

McDonagh had a career-high 43 points this season while logging almost 25 minutes a game.

“He’s got great feet,” said Philadelphia coach Craig Berube. “That’s the No. 1 thing about him.”

The last time the two teams met, on Mar. 26, McDonagh did this:

Not surprisingly, the Flyers don’t want to make things easy for him.

“The 30 minutes that he plays have to be hard minutes,” Berube said. “Not only being hit, but you have to make him work. Grind him out. Grind down there. Make him work. Make him stay long shifts out there.”

“Defensively, if we don’t get pucks deep [on him], we will lose this series,” said Hartnell.

“You want to put pucks in his corner,” added forward Wayne Simmonds. “You want to punish him physically.

Of course, while there’s something to be said for getting pucks deep and avoiding costly turnovers at the blue line, if McDonagh can use his “great feet” to neutralize the forecheck, one quick pass and all of a sudden it’s the Rangers on the attack. So there’s a risk to the Flyers’ strategy.

“They’re going to try to get the puck to my side, it’s just part of the game,” said McDonagh. “If it’s a focus for them, I don’t know. I’m not going to worry about it.”

113 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. sjsharks66 - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Let’s hope they don’t get carried away and end up just injuring him even more.

• 950003cups - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Flyers should be more concerned with “punishing” Lundqvist. Emery is gonna have his work cut out for him. He’s good enough to win, but not steal a game. Lundqvist could steal a game. Mason is good, but hasn’t seen playoff hockey in a five years and even then, he got swept by (I think) Detroit. Lundqvist is less than two years from winning 2 shutouts in the Eastern Conf Final.

Advantage Rangers

2. c9castine - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:08 PM

im sure theyll get carried away, take stupid penalties, and forget about the rest of the game of hockey that needs to be played.

its not that this is a bad idea, you always want to try to punish the opposing teams best defenseman. the flyers just arent very good at controlling themselves.

this series is gonna get just as ugly as a pens-flyers series and im gonna love watching either one of them lose the series. preferably the flyers.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:54 PM

the last time a Flyers-Pens series turned ugly was because the Pens got carried away, couldn’t control themselves, and took stupid penalties.

• c9castine - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM

so how did the flyers end up with more penalty minutes? protecting themselves?

both teams lost control. stop denying it you sound stupid now matter how many of your fan buddies come in here and agree with you.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:00 PM

How many suspensions did the Pens get as opposed to the Flyers?

• broadstreetbeatdown - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:06 PM

About 59 of the Flyers penalty minutes were from all of Letang and Crosby’s diving.

• c9castine - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:24 PM

original. your like, 9 years behind on the trend.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:34 PM

9 years and still trending is more like it.

• c9castine - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:43 PM

in one place. born, raised, and resided. congrats.

• iwt5007 - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM

DUMB.

• sully7184 - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:08 PM

C9Castine, Are you seriously trying to say that the Flyers lost control in the series 2 years ago? The played exactly the way they wanted to play the Penguins. The Penguins couldn’t deal with being outplayed and outworked. Sidney and crew melted down and stopped playing hockey. Sidney forgot he was the best player in the world and started acting like Tye Domi (minus the guts or ability to back up his actions) and his team followed suit. They let the Flyers dictate the style of play and because of that they lost. The same will happen if they meet this year.

• titansrbeast - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:22 PM

It’s ok c9castine, it’s pretty obvious you don’t actually WATCH hockey…you just like to TRY and sound smart, like one of the big boys. Don’t worry, I know it’s a fast paced game but one day you’ll be able to keep up.

Btw, you’re a complete tool.

• laxman1944 - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:25 PM

c9….sir you are flat out wrong

Pitt totally lost their cool and decided to weild their sticks like tomahawks.

Neal should have been suspended for his behavior

Unreal the way you see your club.

3. elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Punish did you hear that NY the FLYERS are in the tournament and the are gonna PUNISH you ,,even if you win the series NY you will be to beat to move on

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:18 PM

You’re a special kind of stupid aren’t you?

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 17, 2014 at 5:24 PM

You must have a special thumbs down computer… crudkake

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:55 PM

if this was anybody but a Flyers fan, I’d be that guy that corrects him on to/too… so in the name of objectivity:

too*

• toiletclown - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Thank god the English teacher is posting on PHT.. Douche

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM

English teacher > Clown specializing in toilets.

• laxman1944 - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:28 PM

FLUSH

• timmyp716 - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:54 PM

What does all this even mean?

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 17, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I dont know just go with it

4. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:11 PM

The Flyers will take things far out of proportion and try to turn it into a boxing match as usual. The key to the series will be whether or not the Rangers decide to take the bait.

5. patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Those who can, score.
    Those who can’t, fight.

I’ll get a million thumbs down for this post; but, I don’t give a rat’s behind.

I hate the Flyers. At the beginning of the season, I had no opinion of them. I liked them because there was no reason not to.

Enter Ray Emery beating up on Braden Holtby. Okay. I just hated Emery.

But, in the past couple of weeks, there have been more than a couple of line brawls. I hate the whole team now, and I hope they lose in 4.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:20 PM

“there have been more than a couple of line brawls.”

what are you talking about?

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:25 PM

“Those who can, score.
        Those who can’t, fight.”

by the way, our leading scorer this year is tied for 3rd in fights on the team, only behind Rosehill and Rinaldo.

• miketoasty - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:39 PM

ibieiniid – That’s pretty funny actually. Why wouldn’t you want your best scorer constantly sitting for 5+ minutes and bashing his hands against someones face, possibly causing injury every time it happens.

I hate the Flyers for obvious reasons and would love to watch the Rangers sweep them out of the playoffs. Not often do I say this but… GO RANGERS!

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Just curious what the “obvious reasons” for hating the team are.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:44 PM

the way I saw it, this was the most respectable and respectful Flyers team in a long time. 2 incidents in a full season (Emery/Holtby, Rinaldo suspension) is a really low number historically. I can’t see how this season was the one that made pat an anti-fan.

• miketoasty - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Sorry Will, I’m a Pens fan. Enough said.

• c9castine - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:46 PM

they got into big scrums with carolina in the last game of the season.

who does that? how stupid do you have to be to get engaged with a nonplayoff team like that when there is no benefit to it?

theyll learn the hard way and ill be here to remind you about it.

• flyerspsu - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:57 PM

so you cant get in a scrum with non playoff teams?

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:59 PM

idk man. we’re not gonna win this one. idk why I keep trying. they’re the Flyers. they’re hated no matter how they play, even for a full season. as Flyers fans, we DID sign on for this.

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Please expand that here have been “more than a couple line brawls” involving the Flyers in the past few weeks…..There has not been one since November 1st.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:26 PM

the only one i think he could be talking about is the most recent game vs. Caps. it wasn’t a line brawl. I think there was 2 fights in that game. matter of fact, the Flyers have only had 6 fights since February.

• c9castine - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:47 PM

ibie when you throw in muggings and full on scrums behind nets where hartnell runs around biting peoples fingers its more than 6

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:02 PM

ibie –

There were about 700 other links with ‘line brawl’ in the headline.

2 fights? Nah.

And to answer your and other’s questions:

The Flyers lead the league in penalty minutes in the regular season with a whopping total of 1,180. (Next is St. Louis with 1,162, followed by Vancouver with 1,115) Naturally, they lead the league in penalty minutes per game with 14.4.

46 major penalties (tying Boston, and 2 less than Toronto with 48)

Game misconducts = 6 (only Calgary and Vancouver had more with 8)

To me, a line brawl is everyone on the ice pairing off with pushing and shoving. I stand corrected that a line brawl means everybody beating the crap out of everybody else.

Sorry, ibie. I’m glad your team turned it around this year after a not-so-great beginning. But, they’re not the Broad Street Bullies, and I wish they’d stop thinking and acting like they are. Play the game, for Pete’s sake. Leave the fighting to WWF.

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:04 PM

No idea how that emoticon got in there. Calgary and Vancouver had 8 game misconducts.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:19 PM

“2 fights? Nah.”

uh…. yah. Erskine/Lecavalier (yep, ERSKINE VS LECAVALIER) and Schenn/Wilson simultaneously. if you have more information than that, i’d like to see it.

and come on… if you’re buying into USAToday sports reporting that says it was an “epic line brawl,” you better think again. how many stories about people having alien babies did you have to look past to find that? Erskine was the instigator in that case. that all stemmed from a clean hit thrown by the Flyers that the Caps took offense to. in no way should that incident reflect poorly on the Flyers.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:20 PM

also, lol @ that gif. conveniently, the Capitals page RussianMachineNeverBreaks started the gif at JUST the right moment to incriminate the Flyers.

• tved12 - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Patt, I do like some of the fighting and enforcing in the game. I like the way the players can police things at times. And I think a physical team can really get into the head of a skill team, that’s how they can actually beat them.

That said, the Canadiens-Bolts game last night is what annoys me. After every single whistle guys are in a scrum. It just slows the game down so much, and there’s no point to it. If a guy hurts your star with a borderline hit, fine go after him. But in the case of last night, what are you policing?

• orangandblack - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:57 PM

New to hockey? I’m only asking because ANY fan of ANY team knows the difference between a scrum and a line brawl.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Cry me a river. Oh look, badminton is on TV. Maybe you should watch that instead.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:03 PM

ESPN, the Ocho?

• cantstandstupid - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Maybe you need to start watching more ice dancing and less ice hockey. It’s a physical game, but I guess you expect them to play patty cake with each other. Did you see the Tampa/Montreal game last night? They were throwing bodies around up and down the ice and I didn’t notice any of them wearing a Flyers jersey. The Columbus/Pittsburgh game was the same way. The Jackets were checking every chance they got. Teams are aware that they need to be physical to win in the playoffs since the series can go to 7 games so you want to wear down your opponent, but you are obviously too clueless to understand that and too closed minded to admit you no nothing about the sport.

6. 7mantel - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Not a new strategy ,seen it many times in my 50 years of watching hockey ! Sure he’ll deal with it !

7. elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Mr McDonagh ,,,,in the words from Sonny in THE BRONX TALE. “Now you cant leave “

• jimeejohnson - Apr 20, 2014 at 9:12 AM

My favorite scene in just about any movie. Watching dumb bikers get their butts kicked is always a pleasure.

8. statsdolie - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Can’t score?? 7 players with 20 goals or more. I think they can light the lamp

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Thats good use of “light the lamp ” by you !

9. eagles512 - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:18 PM

The penguins flyers series got out of hand because the pens lost control not the flyers. The flyers won the series because they kept their cool.

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Thats a point piere mcguire always forgets to make

• c9castine - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:54 PM

your kidding right?

flyers had 159 penalty minutes in that series. the penguins had 154.

flyers score 30 goals. the penguins score 25. both teams were absolutely terrible, the flyers just won more of the games.

flyers got trounced in round 2 4-1 by new jersey.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:00 PM

“the flyers just won more of the games.”

lol

• c9castine - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:02 PM

yeah small detail, right? i get what your saying put dont take it out of the context of the rest of my post in response to what guy said….

flyers didnt keep their cool. they werent really any good either. let me rephrase it make you happy…

penguins were even more terrible than the flyers. actually…let me try again. the penguins were awful, the flyers were themselves.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:06 PM

but again, that wasn’t the same team. i think we only have like 5-10 guys from that year, tops. I don’t wanna harp on it, because people are obviously gonna disagree, but the Flyers team I watched this year is not the Flyers team of old. I’d put us in the bottom half of a dirtiest teams list. we don’t have head hunters. Rosehill is my least favorite player on the Flyers due to his discipline, but he doesn’t go overboard with his fighting.

they play tough. hate them for that. but they aren’t cheap shot artists or goons.

• c9castine - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:11 PM

so its a case of a few guys giving the whole team a bad name? (honest question) i mean i admit ive only watched like…15 full flyers games this year. but nobody there is doing anything to change the perception of the team.

but rinaldo seems to wack out every once in a while. hartnell is and always was a POS. i realize hes good to have on your team, but nobody on the outside is going to have much respect for him. rosehill is always looking for trouble. emery beat up some guy for no reason who wanted nothing to do with him until he finally got tired of getting hit. just because he wanted to be a tough flyer.

i dont know why your trying to deny it….i thought you guys liked being “bullies”.

• flyerspsu - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:28 PM

the penguins clearly lost their cool and had 3 different players suspended in game 3 alone, the same game where Crosby essentially threw a temper tantrum knocking gloves away, slashing the goalie 3 times after the whistle, grabbing hartnell from behind and starting everyone scrum he could, the same game where Neal ran at giroux and couturiers head within 10 seconds after the Flyers went up 3, the same game asham cross checked schenn in the throat after a clean hit, the same game where adams sucker punched hartnell in the back of the head 5 times

how you can you possibly say the penguins didnt lose their cool in that series? I dont think I have ever seen a team get so frustrated and resort to cheapshotting and whining to the extent the penguins did

• c9castine - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:29 PM

please highlight and repost where i said the penguins did not lose their cool.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:28 PM

i’d stick up for them being bullies if they were… bullies. but that’s not what I watched this year, so I’ll debate it if I see it. this team is a lot of kids with their heads in the game. there’s nothing we can do about Hartnell being an agitator, but he isn’t out there trying to hurt people. even when he speared a guy, I think he stopped himself and dropped the stick instead. Rinaldo fights, then he looks angry. but he’s been pretty focused this year. he isn’t even in the top 40 of fighting majors. hell, we only have 1 guy that’s in the top 20…. #20 with 10 fights, Rosehill. I won’t defend HIM though until he proves me wrong. I didn’t like him when he played here in Norfolk, and I don’t like him on the Flyers.

agree to disagree if we must.

• c9castine - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:31 PM

ill accept your reasoning and perspective for now. but this series will be more telling than anything.

10. stepanup - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I hope the Rangers embarrass these clowns. Rangers keep their head, don’t give into the BS, stay disciplined, they win in 5 or 6.

11. ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:37 PM

to the guy that said Flyers fans only come out to troll Pens articles, I’d like to point you toward the FIRST two comments on this post.

• miketoasty - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Wait, who said it didn’t also work the other way around?

That’s how rivalries work, bashing of the other team is a damn near must. Kind of like the ridiculous amount of “Crosby sucks/dives/wears a skirt” posts we see on any Pens article’s. Funny thing is who has more Stanley Cup wins Crosby or any Flyers team from the last 39 years?

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I mean, I don’t wanna call the guy out because I know him to be a reasonable non-troll, but it was this AM on a Flyers/Rangers related post. I brought up the lack of hockey talk and he rationalized by saying there wasn’t a Penguins game today for Flyers fans to troll.

I hafta say though, c9 only mildly trolls (as I admit I do myself) and pitpenguins has turned his act around too from what I’ve noticed.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:49 PM

oh nvm, that was sjsharks. ya, he’s a full-on Flyer troller.

12. timmons94 - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Sounds like respect to me. What a series it is gonna be

13. elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Make the ice we ready

14. sjsharks66 - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:48 PM

ibieiniid i wasn’t trolling. If the Flyers want to win, they need to keep calm. Not just attack him and take a stupid penalty. Possibly even a major, then lose a player to suspension. I don’t think you really know what trolling is…

When someone comments to expand conversation, just because they dislike your team. Does not make them a troll.
    A real troll is Blom, mugga and toilet. Where they just post gibberish that really has nothing to do with the team or game.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I wasn’t saying that particular comment was trolling, but you guys are always the first to give your two cents on the Flyers, when most of you (not you personally) don’t even comment on the Pens articles.

but you have to admit, you do your fair share of Flyer post trolling, and have been since I started coming to PHT.

• c9castine - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:04 PM

yeah i mean are we supposed to not comment on the article because our team is not involved??

trolling is running around saying “the flyers suck f them!” – something that has no substance on the post.

giving your two cents is literally what PHT is all about.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I’m not refuting you guys being here. I’m simply pointing out to the guy that said “Flyer fans only show up to troll Penguin articles” that it works both ways.

15. roryflyers - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:59 PM

I wonder if pat also hates the capitals, or the leafs and bruins who had as many if not more fighting majors than the flyers.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:01 PM

leafs and bruins are the 2 teams with more than the Flyers.

hockeyfights.com is pretty badass.

16. penvik - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:00 PM

From a pens fan this series will be awesome to watch. Go Rangers!!

17. sjsharks66 - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Yeah I admit I comment on a lot of Flyers articles. Sometimes I am one of the first comments. The thing is, I comment on a lot of articles. Almost all of them, unless they are a snoozer. Sometimes you just have to be a little bit of a troll to get the ball rollin in articles. We all do our fair share of poking fun or getting under teams we dislike skins. It’s the nature of the beast!

Good luck on your series with the Rangers. I will be tuning in tonight. Hopefully nothing drastic/dangerous pops off. Maybe a fight or two.

Side note.. Can we all admit that last nights games were pretty boring. Seems like all the big and nasty games are tonight. Really inconvenient to us hockey/playoff fans.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:31 PM

what!? I thought the first 2 were good games. 3 1-goal games to open the playoffs, was it? the pace of Habs/Bolts game was kinda slow, but a good game nonetheless.

18. xdj511 - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I hope the Flyers have a more nuanced game plan than “hurting Ryan McDonagh” or its going to be a quick series.

• cantstandstupid - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Do you really think the Flyers came out of no where and said they are going to try and punish McDonagh? It’s just some moronic reporter trying to write a story and it a question with an obvious answer to any hockey fan. You want to make it tough on the players that are injured especially if it’s an opposing teams top player. Why do you think they only tell the public it’s an upper or lower body injury?

19. atodaso - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I find it more than a little ironic that the ones crying the loudest about people trolling their team are the same guys that are always posting/trolling other teams as well. I guess it’s only trolling when it’s a Flyers article…my bad

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I assume you’re talking about me. where have I done anything more than lightheartedly troll the PHT regulars? I’ll wait.

• atodaso - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM

This morning on a Blues article where you outright called out a guy that wasn’t even posting for instance. Want more? I can go back more than a few articles/hours if you like

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:45 PM

if you’re referring to the one about Martin St. Louis, where I called out toiletclown, I’ll stand by that one… as will everybody else on this site. I will absolutely troll a guy who never puts one amount of information or actual hockey talk into the conversation. the guy comments on EVERY flyers article, but never articles about his own team. he’s never given ONE constructive comment on this site.

so yes, you should go back a few more articles.

• atodaso - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I’m on this site and I don’t stand by that one and I’d be willing to bet I’m not the only one. My point still being that you troll (as you have admitted) but cry when others do if you don’t agree with them.

Also, you call a guy out because he doesn’t talk about hockey. What does calling someone out have to do with hockey?

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:01 PM

…the comment was in response to somebody not talking about hockey. that’s how it usually works.

20. toiletclown - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Of course they’ll send Rinaldo out there to head hunt him. Classless Orginization

• flyerspsu - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:31 PM

thats exactly what the article says

21. 7mantel - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Have to laugh on how it didn’t take long from turning this story into a school yard scrum between you PA fans ! Let’s Go Rangers !

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I just wanna see another Flyers/Pens series sooooo bad lol

• 7mantel - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:41 PM

I did too because I think it’s good for hockey and the fans * I Miss the NYR/NYI playoff games ! ! But now for that to happen the NYR ‘s would have to lose and I hope that doesn’t happen. Enjoy the game !

22. patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM

P.S. to Brough: GREAT POST! Now you got ‘em talking and arguing and (hopefully, for PHT’s sake) clicking those ads. Well done!

23. chrisk61 - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM

flyers are talking smack…i am shocked…SHOCKED I TELL YOU.

regarding fights, line brawl, etc…they are part of the game. anyone who doesn’t like physical hockey including these types of incidents is a poseur hockey fan. go buy a syndi crosby jersey.

• phillyphanatic77 - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Talking smack? They’re talking strategy. Attempt to contain the opposing teams best player (arguably)… its what every single team in the NHL wants to do. And it’s no secret.

24. joey4id - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Well! This is no surprise to Vigneault, McD, or anybody else who is educated about the game and playoff hockey. ;-) Actually you put a poster of a man’s full body preferably dressed in the opponents jersey on put a number on the various parts of the body with each number representing a player of the other team depicting his likely injury. The part of the poster is a joke.

joey4id – Apr 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    Everyone will bring their game up a few more notches and finishing checks is part of the DNA of any system in the playoffs. If you can’t take a check, then you whine and don’t deserve to win. Do you think players don’t know who on the other side is nursing an injury? They do, and they have a good idea what is ailing them. You want to finish your check (cleanly) and make sure your opponent feels the pain where it hurts. That’s playoff hockey.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:07 PM

how that got an almost instant two thumbs down, i have no clue.

25. muckleflugga - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:41 PM

i’ve examined commentary in this blog when it reached eighty odd posts

the first comment was made by sjsharks66, apropos because his offerings constitute the sort of bland cookie-cutter nonsense trying to pass itself off as hockey knowledge and hockey debate polluting penguins and flyers articles particularly

cross blog pollution infecting heavily traveled blogs elsewhere is seeded by the same vacuous content as authored by the same vacuous authors, always …

it would seem template driven hockey ideology, far removed from real-world hockey experience, is held to be superior through simple proliferation over opinion held by players … watchers trump players apparently

the first two comments make vague reference to the article itself … the rest constitute powder-puff trash inverse in its light-weight content to the heavy-weight self-importance claimed by authors themselves …

knowledgeable hockey threads often evolve in these boards, but this is the worst kind of tripe … so bland sjsharks66 was not even demanding a banning for anyone offering contrary opinion … clearly his right given his overall status on pht

the inevitable debate of what constitutes a troll and what constitutes valid commentary rages on ad nauseam … complete with obligatory pluralis maiestatis … an inclusionary language claiming right to speak for a group or class of commentator

hence: the term troll, retort of the witless bereft of ability to either engage the blog point by point, engage commentary directed at subject in the blog or offer an attempt at humour

of the authors offering eighty some odd comments, i only rate c9castine and joey4id as being knowledgeable hockey people … both know hockey as players would know hockey …

both are capable of ongoing debate as it evolves related to the blog itself, and more importantly both have a sense of humour beyond the catty bi itchy one line rejoinder that invites nothing more than disdain from players

the rest is a colossal bore

where’s the blommer when you need him

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:46 PM

“the rest is a colossal bore”

Pot? Meet kettle.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:05 PM

i mean, when you have a headline like that and the first 2 comments are by Pens fans making assumptions about how the series is gonna go based on the team’s distant past, when they’ll admit they haven’t watched that much Flyers hockey this year, it’s probably gonna turn into a conversation about how goonish or not goonish we are…. per usual. I don’t know what else you expected to see in this comment section.

and you don’t have to call me “the author.” It’s the internet, I’m not taking it personal. if you want me to reply, either find the reply button, or say my name instead of being all cryptic about it.

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:07 PM

my point is, until we can start the HockeyTalk without Penguins fans generalizing the Flyers, you probably won’t see anything else. It’ll instantly devolve into something else, and I can’t say I won’t contribute to that. It’s in our bloods.

26. antmel30 - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:43 PM

God these trolls are just plain stupid. The post say flyers want to punish McDonough. That does not mean the flyers are going to jump him all game it means they want to make his life miserable this series. They want to get in his head. If there is a chance to body him they want to all night. They want to west him down. He is the hand that makes rangers d tick. Do people even know hockey on this site. I understand this article has a bunch of Pitt trolls that just started to watch hockey in 2005 but please know the game before you start your dumb comments. You don’t think the rangers want to punish giroux and timmo. I can assure you their coach is telling his guy he wants no room for giroux to breathe and forcheck hard on kimmo all gm. It’s same thing as saying punish. They want these players to second guess themselves. Please understand the difference.

27. muckleflugga - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM

patthehockeyfan

it took you three minutes to try and digest my offering, then another minute to deliver the sort of empty one line counter without attempt at debate

more superficial garbage from the definitively superficial …

all so clumsy they underline their stupidity in haste to be heard without voice beyond inherent capacity to exorcise an innate need to simply bi tch

apparently you missed the message from the real-world journalist who ate your lunch earlier

stupid is as stupid does

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:31 PM

“stupid is as stupid does”

Pot? Meet kettle.

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Actually, muckle, it’s nearly impossible to digest your offering. It appears to be a stream of consciousness without end, written to the point of almost incomprehensibleness.

As to your remark about the real-world journalist, I assume you mean the Vancouver Canucks’ story from last week. If you recall, the commenter “agreed to disagree,” as he/she put it. How that translates into ‘eating my lunch’ … well, that’s your opinion.

My contention was, and still is, that journalists’ / columnists’ comments are not news. In that case, the story was about Tony Gallagher – a columnist for The Province.

I can recall only one instance when a journalist’s comment was news. In fact, the comment itself wasn’t news; it was the fact that the then-President of the United States made the comment news. Walter Cronkite made an editorial comment about the fact that the U.S. was not winning the Vietnam War. President Lyndon Johnson reportedly remarked, “If I’ve lost Cronkite, I’ve lost Middle America.” Lyndon Johnson’s reaction to the comment made the comment news.

You are free to comment here as anyone else is, your disdain for their remarks notwithstanding. Articles such as this one are written exactly for the purpose of garnering tons of comments. Not being a fan of either team, I don’t get into the Pens / Flyers troll debates. Some of their comments are funny, some not so much, some just plain stupid. They’re all free to comment. I don’t appoint myself overseer of remarks here. I’m not sure why you do.

28. muckleflugga - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM

ibieiniid

of course i was generalizing …

you have a sly and intelligent sense of humour … i don’t know if you played but you tend to back your articles up with fact … you have a persona that on a one off, doesn’t read … over threads i figured your game out … i see your handle, i read, unless it shows up in the kind of nonsense

even pat has some good jive if she’d stay focussed …

if people need a coffee klatch, hang out at the mall, there’s lots of empty chatter to go around

everyone has a voice, but unwarranted name calling and lack of wit is an embarrassment to the authors, unwittingly so because in most societies, betrayal of selfish emotion passes that embarrassment on

list police are the worst parasites plaguing blogs … they suck the life out of debate and turn serious commentary away

name callers and list police prevail because they draw the like-minded, smug in a like-minded circle jerk

killing debate

• ibieiniid - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:41 PM

“i don’t know if you played”

as a goalie, I hear that a lot. might explain my different breed and possibly not understanding the skating game as well as forwards will. apologies for that. but you also have to understand about some people on here. as somebody with a job that allows access to PHT for a 9 hour shift M-F with only about 30 hours of real work, it’s not all gonna be gold for all of us all of the time. I gave my input on this yesterday when somebody brought up McDonaugh. The same goes for Girardi. they’ve owned the Flyers for several games now, and if they’re effective this series, the Flyers won’t be. …but typing my opinion every time the subject comes up is tiresome. i’d rather do some clown clowning from time to time.

what’s a list police though?

29. muckleflugga - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:48 PM

patthehockeyfan

i know it’s difficult for the truly unimaginative, but i’d recommend using quotes less … put the old grey matter to work and invent some material of your own

there’s some good hockey crack going on in these boards … no need to quote verbatim … take what you see and use it to salt your own opinion …

read and comprehend … synthesize by putting it all to practical application

don’t put so much weight on perception of your own import … rely rather on your ideas to speak to your consequence

look at chanceoffleurry for guidance

30. rpiotr01 - Apr 17, 2014 at 5:15 PM

No big deal, it’s hockey. Even more, it’s tactics in pro sports.

Flyers played the Rangers in 1997, they used the same tactics on the Rangers D. They clobbered Leetch when they had the chance. The pummeled Sergei Zubov into uselessness, so much so that he fled the Eastern conference for more open pastures in the West that off-season.

These are different teams, however. Mac, Girardi and Staal are all very physical players, and they’re going to give as good as they get. I think overall the Flyers are the more physical team but they have nowhere near the same edge they had years ago, and though Emery’s attitude should prove to be an asset, I think NYR have a clear advantage in goal.

This one should go 6-7 games.

• rpiotr01 - Apr 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM

My mistake, memory is fading! Zubov wasn’t on that team anymore. Point stands, Flyers abused the Rangers back end to their advantage, same as they’ll try to do now.

31. bleedrangerblue - Apr 17, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Dumb article. Every team wants to hit the D and make them work hard. Just nonsense

32. muckleflugga - Apr 17, 2014 at 5:26 PM

i’m assuming the question is rhetorical given my leading comment as being evidence of a form of policing, but

list police are those habitually bound by need to find gratification in correcting:

typos
    spelling
    grammar [ and grampa ]

list police determine who’s work is acceptable as commentary, definable as a rule by agreement with their opinion

list police, challenged by logical or abstract commentary offered in counter to their own simplistic truths are licensed to:

demand banning of commentators

define superior commentary as product of a troll, permitting themselves to be excused from the burden of offering logical argument in counter

dismiss need for intelligent counter by using name calling in simple retort

dismiss need for intelligent counter while employing empty one-line rejoinder wholly removed from content in blog or evolving thread

betray capacity for a witless self-importance on such a scale, humour is beyond their comprehension

in a perverse form of self-flagellation, invite abuse from posters wearied by their continuing insipid bullsh it …

understanding there are no hard and fast rules for bloggers, the operative word for list police here is habitual

33. muckleflugga - Apr 17, 2014 at 6:18 PM

patthehockeyfan

an astute observation … you’re the first to define much of my work for what it is … streaming thought sprinkled with sarcasm and humour … you’re considerably elevated in my opinion, for what that’s worth

my background is in technical and legal writing as related to design … design relies upon streaming thought whereas associated writing must condense resulting esoteric material into something comprehensible … walk into a court room with the brand of gobbledegook i offer here and you’d get laughed out the door

i’m not sure how long you’ve been in here so indulge me

i no longer have the patience to speak up or down through my thinking process … to do so is condescending … i believe it is better for those with the time or inclination to either bring their own meanings to the exercise or simply employ thumbs up or down, meaningless to anybody free to risk an honest opinion regardless

popularity contests are big in high school confidentials

i prefer to use cadence and pace in language for punctuation … marks of ellipsis are used only to create pause to create the space wearing meaning bridges ideas … synthesis occurs as transaction in meaning occurs … it’s the most powerful device in writing, but always subject to experimentation

some get it some don’t … who cares

insofar as your exchange with the retired journalist is concerned, he caught you out in your little conceit … as recently late of this world and personal hero jesse winchester wrote, you were trapped while putting on airs … welcome to the club

but you did well in counter, rationalizing your argument further while winning concession from your opponent … you’ll find me on record herein arguing the same point you argued … reporters are not news but tend to make news while effectively becoming the news –a condition necessary in some measure when engendering debate through blogging

in here you initially came back at me in a way that served to define my complaint, being seduced by emotion, hurt because you felt your esteem and standing in the community under attack …

all good and product of a burgeoning albeit off-topic thread … i only attack personally if attacked personally, succumbing at times toward sarcasm in the face of what i perceive to be stupidity

but you came back with a reasoned effort at debate, winning back your ground … i laud you completely … that’s what is needed in these boards

you’re in a minority

hang in there, your bound to get bloodied, so bring a knife

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 17, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Out of the night that covers me,
      Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
      I thank whatever gods may be
      For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
      I have not winced nor cried aloud.
      Under the bludgeonings of chance
      My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
      Looms but the Horror of the shade,
      And yet the menace of the years
      Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
      How charged with punishments the scroll,
      I am the master of my fate:
      I am the captain of my soul.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches