Apr 17, 2014, 10:18 PM EST
It’s probably not very fair, but for many casual hockey fans and more than a few devoted ones, Philadelphia Flyers forward Jason Akeson will be known primarily as the guy who took a crippling hi-sticking penalty on Carl Hagelin in Game 1 on Thursday.
Here’s the play in question, which opened the door for the New York Rangers to score two power-play goals on the ensuing double-minor:
After the game, Flyers head coach Craig Berube simply said that Akeson needs to “be better with his stick,” according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
As ignominious as that mistake might seem, there’s always the possibility that Akeson will bounce back with a redemptive effort in Game 2. Then again, some wonder if he’ll get that chance:
Either way, this is one of those mistakes that has the potential to haunt a player for some time. The Flyers can reduce that discomfort by winning some games, particularly Game 2, however.
Update: At least one outlook is relishing in throwing Akeson under the bus.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)