Apr 17, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
It’s probably not very fair, but for many casual hockey fans and more than a few devoted ones, Philadelphia Flyers forward Jason Akeson will be known primarily as the guy who took a crippling hi-sticking penalty on Carl Hagelin in Game 1 on Thursday.
Here’s the play in question, which opened the door for the New York Rangers to score two power-play goals on the ensuing double-minor:
After the game, Flyers head coach Craig Berube simply said that Akeson needs to “be better with his stick,” according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
As ignominious as that mistake might seem, there’s always the possibility that Akeson will bounce back with a redemptive effort in Game 2. Then again, some wonder if he’ll get that chance:
Either way, this is one of those mistakes that has the potential to haunt a player for some time. The Flyers can reduce that discomfort by winning some games, particularly Game 2, however.
Update: At least one outlook is relishing in throwing Akeson under the bus.
- Report: Penguins owners (especially Lemieux) ponder sale of ‘some or all’ of franchise 0
- Report: Red Wings will name Blashill as head coach next week 0
- Kane, Toews may have toughest assignment yet in Hedman, Stralman 13
- Chicago mayor rips Lightning for being ‘afraid’ to sell tickets to Blackhawks fans 68
- PHT’s Stanley Cup Final picks, once again featuring The Coin 20
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 23
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 7
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 77
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 25
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (87)
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)