Apr 17, 2014, 10:18 PM EST
It’s probably not very fair, but for many casual hockey fans and more than a few devoted ones, Philadelphia Flyers forward Jason Akeson will be known primarily as the guy who took a crippling hi-sticking penalty on Carl Hagelin in Game 1 on Thursday.
Here’s the play in question, which opened the door for the New York Rangers to score two power-play goals on the ensuing double-minor:
After the game, Flyers head coach Craig Berube simply said that Akeson needs to “be better with his stick,” according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
As ignominious as that mistake might seem, there’s always the possibility that Akeson will bounce back with a redemptive effort in Game 2. Then again, some wonder if he’ll get that chance:
Either way, this is one of those mistakes that has the potential to haunt a player for some time. The Flyers can reduce that discomfort by winning some games, particularly Game 2, however.
Update: At least one outlook is relishing in throwing Akeson under the bus.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 2
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)