Apr 17, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
It’s probably not very fair, but for many casual hockey fans and more than a few devoted ones, Philadelphia Flyers forward Jason Akeson will be known primarily as the guy who took a crippling hi-sticking penalty on Carl Hagelin in Game 1 on Thursday.
Here’s the play in question, which opened the door for the New York Rangers to score two power-play goals on the ensuing double-minor:
After the game, Flyers head coach Craig Berube simply said that Akeson needs to “be better with his stick,” according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
As ignominious as that mistake might seem, there’s always the possibility that Akeson will bounce back with a redemptive effort in Game 2. Then again, some wonder if he’ll get that chance:
Either way, this is one of those mistakes that has the potential to haunt a player for some time. The Flyers can reduce that discomfort by winning some games, particularly Game 2, however.
Update: At least one outlook is relishing in throwing Akeson under the bus.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)