Apr 17, 2014, 11:02 AM EST
Good thing Colorado has such a wealth of talent down the middle — it’ll need it.
On Thursday, the Avs announced that valuable third-line center John Mitchell would miss their series opener against Minnesota with a concussion. The injury puts Mitchell on the shelf alongside another top-three center, Matt Duchene, who has been ruled out for at least the first two games of the series with a knee injury.
As mentioned, though, Colorado has good depth down the middle.
Paul Stastny and Ryan O’Reilly will man the No. 1 and 2 spots, while Max Talbot and Brad Malone appear primed to play in the bottom six. Likely Calder Trophy winner Nathan MacKinnon also has experience playing the middle, and briefly replaced Duchene there earlier this season.
All that said, losing Mitchell will still hurt.
The 29-year-old had a very good season in Colorado, scoring a career-high 32 points while averaging over 16 minutes per night. He finished third on the team in faceoff winning percentage (50) and was fantastic against Minnesota this season, scoring six points in five games.
Mitchell is also a valuable member of the Avs’ penalty kill, averaging nearly two shorthanded minutes per game.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)