Apr 16, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens and Tampa Bay Lightning kicked off the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs with the first game of their series and accomplished a few other firsts in the (wait for it) first period.
Barely 10 minutes in, Nikita Kucherov scored his first career playoff goal and the first tally of the postseason. That would have been a nice story … until Tomas Plekanec provided some veteran touch by scoring just 19 seconds later. You can watch both goals in the video below:
So, to review, we have the first goal, first tie and first goal by a rookie in a brisk period of time. Stay tuned to see which teams will end up with the first series leads of this young postseason.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 14
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 29
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 26
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 20
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6