Apr 16, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens and Tampa Bay Lightning kicked off the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs with the first game of their series and accomplished a few other firsts in the (wait for it) first period.
Barely 10 minutes in, Nikita Kucherov scored his first career playoff goal and the first tally of the postseason. That would have been a nice story … until Tomas Plekanec provided some veteran touch by scoring just 19 seconds later. You can watch both goals in the video below:
So, to review, we have the first goal, first tie and first goal by a rookie in a brisk period of time. Stay tuned to see which teams will end up with the first series leads of this young postseason.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5