Apr 16, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens and Tampa Bay Lightning kicked off the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs with the first game of their series and accomplished a few other firsts in the (wait for it) first period.
Barely 10 minutes in, Nikita Kucherov scored his first career playoff goal and the first tally of the postseason. That would have been a nice story … until Tomas Plekanec provided some veteran touch by scoring just 19 seconds later. You can watch both goals in the video below:
So, to review, we have the first goal, first tie and first goal by a rookie in a brisk period of time. Stay tuned to see which teams will end up with the first series leads of this young postseason.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 7
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 8
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 17
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5