Apr 16, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens and Tampa Bay Lightning kicked off the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs with the first game of their series and accomplished a few other firsts in the (wait for it) first period.
Barely 10 minutes in, Nikita Kucherov scored his first career playoff goal and the first tally of the postseason. That would have been a nice story … until Tomas Plekanec provided some veteran touch by scoring just 19 seconds later. You can watch both goals in the video below:
So, to review, we have the first goal, first tie and first goal by a rookie in a brisk period of time. Stay tuned to see which teams will end up with the first series leads of this young postseason.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 5
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9