Apr 16, 2014, 7:24 PM EST
Plenty of big-name players won’t be able to suit up for their respective teams, but Evgeni Malkin is coming back for the Pittsburgh Penguins (who host the Columbus Blue Jackets in a Game 1 that’s about to start up).
Malkin has been sidelined since March 23 with a foot injury.
Naturally, the big question is whether Malkin will be close to 100 percent from a health standpoint (not to mention how much of an impact rust might have on his game). Of course, the counterpoint could be that, unlike many other players, Malkin was spared a couple weeks of the grind during a season when he also dealt with the emotional roller coaster of the 2014 Olympics.
Either way, he’s back, so we’ll see if the Penguins can play like the favorites they seem to be.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)