Apr 16, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
Plenty of big-name players won’t be able to suit up for their respective teams, but Evgeni Malkin is coming back for the Pittsburgh Penguins (who host the Columbus Blue Jackets in a Game 1 that’s about to start up).
Malkin has been sidelined since March 23 with a foot injury.
Naturally, the big question is whether Malkin will be close to 100 percent from a health standpoint (not to mention how much of an impact rust might have on his game). Of course, the counterpoint could be that, unlike many other players, Malkin was spared a couple weeks of the grind during a season when he also dealt with the emotional roller coaster of the 2014 Olympics.
Either way, he’s back, so we’ll see if the Penguins can play like the favorites they seem to be.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)