Apr 16, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
Plenty of big-name players won’t be able to suit up for their respective teams, but Evgeni Malkin is coming back for the Pittsburgh Penguins (who host the Columbus Blue Jackets in a Game 1 that’s about to start up).
Malkin has been sidelined since March 23 with a foot injury.
Naturally, the big question is whether Malkin will be close to 100 percent from a health standpoint (not to mention how much of an impact rust might have on his game). Of course, the counterpoint could be that, unlike many other players, Malkin was spared a couple weeks of the grind during a season when he also dealt with the emotional roller coaster of the 2014 Olympics.
Either way, he’s back, so we’ll see if the Penguins can play like the favorites they seem to be.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)