Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning goaltender Ben Bishop won’t play in Game 1 against Montreal tonight (7:00 p.m. ET, CNBC), but the good news is that Valtteri Filppula (lower body) and Ondrej Palat (upper body) should be available, according to the team’s website.
It will be Palat’s playoff debut after he scored 23 goals and 59 points in 81 games. Those rookie numbers would be impressive under any circumstances, but they’re particularly remarkable coming from a guy that was drafted with 208th overall pick less than three years ago. He’s projected to play on the top line with Steven Stamkos and Tyler Johnson.
In contract, 30-year-old Filppula is a veteran of 105 playoff games and has won the Stanley Cup, thanks to his time in Detroit. Lightning GM Steve Yzerman was questioned for handing him a five-year, $25 million contract over the summer, but Filppula’s efforts have justified the signing.
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 0
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)