Apr 16, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
At this point, NHL teams are becoming less and less forthcoming with injury updates … and this is compared to the “upper-body” and “lower-body” vagueness of most regular season news. It’s not too surprising that he Tampa Bay Lightning provided next to no details about the condition of forward Ondrej Palat, then.
Palat, 23, sat out the Lightning’s regular season finale with an upper-body injury and didn’t log any ice time in the third period or overtime of Game 1 on Wednesday. It’s possible he was injured thanks to a collision with Montreal Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban tonight, making it unclear if he re-aggravated that upper-body issue or if this is a different aliment altogether.
All Lightning head coach Jon Cooper said was that he feels sorry for the winger.
One of the silver linings of the Lightning’s turbulent season with injuries and other distractions is that young players like Palat have received opportunities to shine. He did just that, scoring 23 goals and 59 points with a +32 rating in 81 games this season, yet that breakthrough could make his absence that much more glaring.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)