Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Paul Maurice’s 35-game cameo was enough to warrant a long-term extension in Winnipeg — on Wednesday, the Jets re-upped with their bench boss on a four year deal, per the Free Press.
Maurice, who took the Jets gig in January after Claude Noel was fired, went 18-12-5 in his half-season behind the bench, good for an .586 winning percentage. That included the Jets winning 11 of 13 immediately following Noel’s dismissal, briefly clawing their way back into the Western Conference playoff picture before a swoon in March essentially eliminated them from contention.
Regardless, Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff was pleased with how the team responded to Maurice.
“Obviously very impressed,” Cheveldayoff said of Maurice, per NHL.com. “He’s a quality, quality person as we’ve all known. Certainly he came into a difficult situation and has helped our group perform admirably.”
With Maurice now locked in, eyes will turn to Evander Kane and his future in Winnipeg. A talented power forward that just wrapped the second of a six-year, $31.5 million deal, Kane seemingly ran afoul of Maurice at the end of the season, getting parked as a healthy scratch for breaking a team rule.
Prior to the healthy scratch, news broke that Kane was facing a civil lawsuit pertaining to an alleged assault in Vancouver last summer. It was the latest in a series of transgressions — granted, some minor — that have dotted Kane’s tenure in Winnipeg.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
Probably a figurative slap.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
The Islanders defenseman spent six seasons with the Bruins
Oct 23, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT
He’s in the American Hockey League to start 2014-15.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Looks better than one might expect.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:13 AM EDT
Meanwhile, Buffalo scored!
Oct 23, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT
Pretty good chance for three straight.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
He was injured on Oct. 16.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:49 PM EDT
No. 8 was having a bit of a difficult night.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
Big win for Philly after getting beat bad in Chicago on Tuesday.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Last shift came in the first period.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
Little bit of history here.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Milbury doesn’t understand why the Pens would extend him.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Tremendous gesture from the Penguins organization.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT
NHL Insider joined Kathryn Tappen live in studio.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Blueliner’s had zero luck in the health department.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Two teams that, how should we say, care not for one another.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
“We had no choice but to.”
Oct 22, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
He won’t travel with the club for its upcoming three-game road swing through Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 40
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 12
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)