Apr 16, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
In the back of his mind, Ray Emery knew there was a chance he would be in net for the playoffs.
Those suspicions were confirmed Wednesday, when Flyers coach Craig Berube announced that Steve Mason will miss Game 1 of the Flyers’ divisional semifinal series against the New York Rangers Thursday at Madison Square Garden.
Emery will get the start in goal.
Berube wouldn’t go into detail about what was wrong with Mason (injured Saturday versus Pittsburgh), saying only, “He’s out.”
So the job, for Game 1 at least, falls to Emery, the 31-year-old backup who finished the regular season with a 9-12-2 record and .903 save percentage.
Emery’s last three appearances weren’t fantastic, as he allowed 10 goals on 85 shots, for a save percentage of .882.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)