Apr 16, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
In the back of his mind, Ray Emery knew there was a chance he would be in net for the playoffs.
Those suspicions were confirmed Wednesday, when Flyers coach Craig Berube announced that Steve Mason will miss Game 1 of the Flyers’ divisional semifinal series against the New York Rangers Thursday at Madison Square Garden.
Emery will get the start in goal.
Berube wouldn’t go into detail about what was wrong with Mason (injured Saturday versus Pittsburgh), saying only, “He’s out.”
So the job, for Game 1 at least, falls to Emery, the 31-year-old backup who finished the regular season with a 9-12-2 record and .903 save percentage.
Emery’s last three appearances weren’t fantastic, as he allowed 10 goals on 85 shots, for a save percentage of .882.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)