Apr 16, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
In the back of his mind, Ray Emery knew there was a chance he would be in net for the playoffs.
Those suspicions were confirmed Wednesday, when Flyers coach Craig Berube announced that Steve Mason will miss Game 1 of the Flyers’ divisional semifinal series against the New York Rangers Thursday at Madison Square Garden.
Emery will get the start in goal.
Berube wouldn’t go into detail about what was wrong with Mason (injured Saturday versus Pittsburgh), saying only, “He’s out.”
So the job, for Game 1 at least, falls to Emery, the 31-year-old backup who finished the regular season with a 9-12-2 record and .903 save percentage.
Emery’s last three appearances weren’t fantastic, as he allowed 10 goals on 85 shots, for a save percentage of .882.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 20
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 10
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)