Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 PM EST
Columbus Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards acknowledged that there were some positives to take from his team’s 4-3 Game 1 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins. Still, he also emphasized that his team isn’t satisfied with almost.
“We aren’t here just to go to school. We’re here to win,” Richards said. “We got our feet wet. We know what to expect, and we’ll get focused for Saturday now.”
Jack Johnson gave the Blue Jackets their first-ever lead in a playoff game, so maybe it shouldn’t be surprising that he seemed upbeat about his team’s prospects despite the loss.
“This is a war of attrition,” Johnson said. “We weren’t timid or anything. We’ll regroup and be ready for Game 2.”
Lineup tweaks might be part of that regrouping process.
From a bigger picture perspective, the Blue Jackets seem intent to focus upon stemming the special teams tide, something Richards noted after the game. The Penguins turned a 3-1 deficit into a 3-3 tie thanks to an efficient man advantage on Wednesday, showing an edge that could be an X-factor in the series.
Controlling (or at least limiting) that power play could very well make this a “war of attrition” rather than the quicker series that some naysayers expect.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 7
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 15
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 15
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)