Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards acknowledged that there were some positives to take from his team’s 4-3 Game 1 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins. Still, he also emphasized that his team isn’t satisfied with almost.
“We aren’t here just to go to school. We’re here to win,” Richards said. “We got our feet wet. We know what to expect, and we’ll get focused for Saturday now.”
Jack Johnson gave the Blue Jackets their first-ever lead in a playoff game, so maybe it shouldn’t be surprising that he seemed upbeat about his team’s prospects despite the loss.
“This is a war of attrition,” Johnson said. “We weren’t timid or anything. We’ll regroup and be ready for Game 2.”
Lineup tweaks might be part of that regrouping process.
From a bigger picture perspective, the Blue Jackets seem intent to focus upon stemming the special teams tide, something Richards noted after the game. The Penguins turned a 3-1 deficit into a 3-3 tie thanks to an efficient man advantage on Wednesday, showing an edge that could be an X-factor in the series.
Controlling (or at least limiting) that power play could very well make this a “war of attrition” rather than the quicker series that some naysayers expect.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 19
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)