Apr 16, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
The Anton Belov era in Edmonton is over.
Belov, who appeared in 57 games for the Oilers last season — his first with the club — has signed with KHL SKA St. Petersburg, the club announced on Wednesday. While the move isn’t groundbreaking, the timing is curious as it came just four days after Belov played 12:05 in Edmonton’s season-ending win over Vancouver.
The 27-year-old Russian d-man joined the Oilers this year after spending all of his previous professional career in Russia, primarily with Avangard Omsk. The 6-foot-4, 215-pounder impressed NHL scouts while representing Team Russia at the 2013 World Hockey Championships, finishing with four points in eight games and a plus-8 rating and was believed to be pursued by a number of clubs, including the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Belov scored one goal and seven points for the Oilers this season, missing 11 games with an oblique injury.
In addition to playing for Edmonton, Belov also suited up for Russia at the Winter Olympics in Sochi this past February. He appeared in all five of Russia’s games, scoring one goal while averaging just over 13 minutes per contest.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)