Apr 16, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
The Anton Belov era in Edmonton is over.
Belov, who appeared in 57 games for the Oilers last season — his first with the club — has signed with KHL SKA St. Petersburg, the club announced on Wednesday. While the move isn’t groundbreaking, the timing is curious as it came just four days after Belov played 12:05 in Edmonton’s season-ending win over Vancouver.
The 27-year-old Russian d-man joined the Oilers this year after spending all of his previous professional career in Russia, primarily with Avangard Omsk. The 6-foot-4, 215-pounder impressed NHL scouts while representing Team Russia at the 2013 World Hockey Championships, finishing with four points in eight games and a plus-8 rating and was believed to be pursued by a number of clubs, including the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Belov scored one goal and seven points for the Oilers this season, missing 11 games with an oblique injury.
In addition to playing for Edmonton, Belov also suited up for Russia at the Winter Olympics in Sochi this past February. He appeared in all five of Russia’s games, scoring one goal while averaging just over 13 minutes per contest.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 14
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 4
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)