Tavares: ‘There’s no part of me that wants to leave’

Apr 15, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT

On Monday, Islanders captain John Tavares addressed rumblings about him wanting out of New York — and addressed them emphatically.

“I signed six years because I wanted to be here. There’s no part of me that wants to leave,” Tavares told Newsday. “I think [the talk] is a product of the team not winning, and the perception around here from other markets is always a lot different from what actually happens.”

Tavares’ name has come up in recent weeks, thanks in large part to comments made by TSN’s Darren Dreger:

Tavares does seem committed to the Isles. He just wrapped the second of a six-year, $33 million deal — his first season as team captain — and, at 23, has to be somewhat excited about the prospect of the Isles’ young talent on the horizon.

Following a season-ending knee injury at the Olympics, Tavares watched as the Isles rolled out a number of their kids and received some good results: Ryan Strome had 18 points in 37 games, Brock Nelson finished 11th among NHL rookies with 14 goals, Calvin de Haan posted career highs in games (51) and points (16) while Anders Lee, a sixth-round pick in 2009, scored an impressive 14 points in 22 games.

Given the other good talent on the horizon — Scott Mayfield, Johan Sundstrom, Griffin Reinhart, Ryan Pulock — it’s not surprising that Tavares still sees many positives for the future.

“I know we’ve still got some great things we can accomplish here,” he said. “My mindset hasn’t changed.”

1. terrier92 - Apr 15, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Those are the comments from a true leader.

2. hockey412 - Apr 15, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Why do people follow Dreger’s ‘feelings’, again?

• 7mantel - Apr 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I know ! He says” just a thought” but gives no reason why !

• pepper2011 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Not to mention the haul he would require.

If I were running NYI’s I’d start at Kadri, JVR and Rielly, and I am still not sure that’s enough.

The Isles are closer than they might appear. They have some really good young talent. They need a goalie and about 4 defensemen. Toronto has the same holes, but only deeper.

• bcisleman - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:49 PM

You aren’t sure that’s enough? I am sure it isn’t in the same universe as enough. There aren’t any two players on TOR who are a fair trade for JT but start with Kessel and Bernier and add Kadri and Rielly and you’ll be getting in the neighborhood. Not that it matters. JT is an Islander and will remain one.

3. trbowman - Apr 15, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Even if he did want out, he’s not going anywhere nor should he be.

4. djshnooks - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Mayfield?

Isn’t that who Deslauriers completely destroyed on Sunday? Lmfao.

What pick ya giving us, bums?

• islesjb - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:21 PM

The fact that he lost a fight has nothing to do with him as a prospect.

Isles future is looking much less pathetic than the Sabres regardless of what pick we’re giving you.

• rr3399 - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Mayfield didn’t go down because of Deslauriers’ punches. He was down there looking for John Scott’s pride after he got lit up by some guy I never heard of.

5. bcisleman - Apr 15, 2014 at 8:58 PM

With the despair Leaf fans are feeling over their team’s epic fail, it was only a matter of time before this old chestnut was brought out again. Just a little surprising that Dreger would be the one to do the honors.

No doubt many Leaf fans were following JT throughut juniors and praying he’d be theirs. This false hope was kept alive by Blustering Brian Burke throughout the runup to the 2009 draft. Once the Isles drafted JT, most Leaf fans moved on but there are a few who cling to the absurd notion that JT will be a Leaf.

Its understandable that some might speculate that JT would want out of the Island given the team’s struggles…although by now, most reasonable people would look at his contract and repeated statements that he wants to stay and accept that.

What is incomprehensible to me is why any rational Leaf fan would imagine that he wants to leave the Island to be part of the Leaf organization when they haven’t really had much more success than the Isles since 2009 and they have a far weaker prospect pipeline. Also any trade to get JT would require the Leafs to give up so much that they’d likely be weaker than before the trade.

This is a pipe dream and shame on Dreger for encouraging it.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches