Report: Tampa Bay rules out Bishop for Game 1 vs. Habs

Apr 15, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

No huge surprise, but now it’s starting to sound official — per CBC and the Toronto Sun, the Lightning have ruled out No. 1 goalie Ben Bishop for the opening game of their first-round series with Montreal.

In Bishop’s place, Anders Lindback — the NHL’s reigning first star of the week — will get the nod.

Despite Lindback’s solid play last week, the Bolts must still be concerned about going into the series without arguably their MVP this season. Bishop was the one constant throughout the campaign, providing solid netminding while Steve Stamkos was sidelined with a broken leg and following the tumultuous Martin St. Louis saga.

Overall, Bishop’s numbers on the year are Vezina-worthy: 37-14-7 (4th in the NHL in wins), 2.23 GAA (7th), .924 save percentage (7th) and five shutouts (5th). Lindback, meanwhile, had just eight wins in 23 appearances this season and had a sub-.900 save percentage…though he does feel his game is rounding into form at the right time.

“I think I’m way more patient, I’m way more compact and I don’t open up as I’ve been doing this season,’’ Lindback told the Tampa Tribune. “I feel like I’m more consistent. And everything I do out there, it’s something I’ve been trying to work on and it’s been paying off the last couple of games here.

“So, it’s just now trying to keep pushing it and get better, and it’s time to take it to another level.’’

1. letsgolightning - Apr 15, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I’m staying positive on this. Having Bishop out surely sucks, but I’d like to see Lindback ride that momentum and force Cooper to make a tough choice once Bish is healthy again. Lindback’s contract is up, so he’s got the motivation to increase his value, whether it’s with us or some other team.

2. blomfeld - Apr 15, 2014 at 8:58 PM

BEANSTALKS NOTWITHSTANDING …

the bottom line is that the ‘separatists’ are going to take this in 6 and there’s nothing that these ‘tax evading’ Floridians can do about that !

FLORIDA, TAX EVASION AND SUCH AS …

3. themagicfanguy - Apr 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM

I’ll be laughing at that comment after the Bolts win in five.

4. ntvd7 - Apr 15, 2014 at 11:02 PM

I think the team will player harder in front of Lindback

Ride that momentum now and Bishop can take them the rest of the way

Don’t sleep on the Bolts

5. billiam55 - Apr 16, 2014 at 7:30 AM

GO BOLTS. BEAT THE DIVERS!

6. thefinalcut8 - Apr 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM

As a Bolts fan, ill take back every expletive Ive directed at Lindback the past two years if he can get us through the Habs

Top 10 NHL Player Searches