Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
It looks like the Colorado Avalanche will be without their leading scorer Matt Duchene for at least the first two games of their opening-round series against the Minnesota Wild, according to The Denver Post.
The 23-year-old Duchene, who led the Avalanche with 70 points in the regular season, suffered a knee injury in a game against the San Jose Sharks at the end of last month and was expected to miss four weeks as a result.
The absence of Duchene at end the regular season meant 18-year-old rookie Nathan MacKinnon slipped back into the middle on Colorado’s top line. And now MacKinnon’s first ever taste of Stanley Cup playoff hockey will occur without the support of Duchene in the lineup for at least the short term.
No pressure, right?
“Obviously, with ‘Dutchy’ out it puts a lot more pressure on everybody else. But we have tons of good forwards. It’s not just going to be me that they’re going to be paying attention to,” MacKinnon told The Denver Post.
“I think it’s good that, if they key on one guy, we’ll have other guys step up. They’re going to have to kind of choose who they want to pick their battles with.”
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)