Apr 15, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
Still dealing with the effects of a collision during Saturday’s game versus Pittsburgh, Steve Mason is questionable for the Flyers’ series-opening game against the Rangers on Thursday.
Here’s more, from CSN Philly:
At practice on Tuesday, though, he seemed to take a step back. Mason practiced for about 15 minutes at Skate Zone, and Berube couldn’t say whether the goaltender would be ready for Game 1.
“That’s not been determined yet,” Berube said.
General manager Paul Holmgren said the Flyers will know more about Mason’s condition Wednesday. He declined to get specific about Mason’s injury, choosing instead to stick with calling it just an upper-body injury.
Holmgren added, though, that his confidence that Mason would be able to play Thursday is “the same” as it was after the loss to the Hurricanes.
“I thought it was good to see him out there,” Holmgren said. “I thought he looked OK. We’ve just got to take it a day at a time here. We’ll know more tomorrow. I couldn’t tell you.”
Mason was Philadelphia’s clear-cut No. 1 netminder this year, appearing in 61 games while matching a career high in wins, with 33. But the club also gave No. 2 Ray Emery a solid body of work — 28 appearances — and Emery does boast a wealth of postseason experience, taking Ottawa to the Stanley Cup Final in 2007 before starting all six games for Anaheim during an opening-round loss in 2011.
Emery also won a Stanley Cup with Chicago last year, though failed to see any action in the postseason.
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 3
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 17
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)