Apr 15, 2014, 2:08 PM EST
Still dealing with the effects of a collision during Saturday’s game versus Pittsburgh, Steve Mason is questionable for the Flyers’ series-opening game against the Rangers on Thursday.
Here’s more, from CSN Philly:
At practice on Tuesday, though, he seemed to take a step back. Mason practiced for about 15 minutes at Skate Zone, and Berube couldn’t say whether the goaltender would be ready for Game 1.
“That’s not been determined yet,” Berube said.
General manager Paul Holmgren said the Flyers will know more about Mason’s condition Wednesday. He declined to get specific about Mason’s injury, choosing instead to stick with calling it just an upper-body injury.
Holmgren added, though, that his confidence that Mason would be able to play Thursday is “the same” as it was after the loss to the Hurricanes.
“I thought it was good to see him out there,” Holmgren said. “I thought he looked OK. We’ve just got to take it a day at a time here. We’ll know more tomorrow. I couldn’t tell you.”
Mason was Philadelphia’s clear-cut No. 1 netminder this year, appearing in 61 games while matching a career high in wins, with 33. But the club also gave No. 2 Ray Emery a solid body of work — 28 appearances — and Emery does boast a wealth of postseason experience, taking Ottawa to the Stanley Cup Final in 2007 before starting all six games for Anaheim during an opening-round loss in 2011.
Emery also won a Stanley Cup with Chicago last year, though failed to see any action in the postseason.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 22
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 7
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11