Apr 15, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
Still dealing with the effects of a collision during Saturday’s game versus Pittsburgh, Steve Mason is questionable for the Flyers’ series-opening game against the Rangers on Thursday.
Here’s more, from CSN Philly:
At practice on Tuesday, though, he seemed to take a step back. Mason practiced for about 15 minutes at Skate Zone, and Berube couldn’t say whether the goaltender would be ready for Game 1.
“That’s not been determined yet,” Berube said.
General manager Paul Holmgren said the Flyers will know more about Mason’s condition Wednesday. He declined to get specific about Mason’s injury, choosing instead to stick with calling it just an upper-body injury.
Holmgren added, though, that his confidence that Mason would be able to play Thursday is “the same” as it was after the loss to the Hurricanes.
“I thought it was good to see him out there,” Holmgren said. “I thought he looked OK. We’ve just got to take it a day at a time here. We’ll know more tomorrow. I couldn’t tell you.”
Mason was Philadelphia’s clear-cut No. 1 netminder this year, appearing in 61 games while matching a career high in wins, with 33. But the club also gave No. 2 Ray Emery a solid body of work — 28 appearances — and Emery does boast a wealth of postseason experience, taking Ottawa to the Stanley Cup Final in 2007 before starting all six games for Anaheim during an opening-round loss in 2011.
Emery also won a Stanley Cup with Chicago last year, though failed to see any action in the postseason.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)