Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers

Apr 15, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers v Florida Panthers Getty Images

Still dealing with the effects of a collision during Saturday’s game versus Pittsburgh, Steve Mason is questionable for the Flyers’ series-opening game against the Rangers on Thursday.

Here’s more, from CSN Philly:

At practice on Tuesday, though, he seemed to take a step back. Mason practiced for about 15 minutes at Skate Zone, and Berube couldn’t say whether the goaltender would be ready for Game 1.

“That’s not been determined yet,” Berube said.

General manager Paul Holmgren said the Flyers will know more about Mason’s condition Wednesday. He declined to get specific about Mason’s injury, choosing instead to stick with calling it just an upper-body injury.

Holmgren added, though, that his confidence that Mason would be able to play Thursday is “the same” as it was after the loss to the Hurricanes.

“I thought it was good to see him out there,” Holmgren said. “I thought he looked OK. We’ve just got to take it a day at a time here. We’ll know more tomorrow. I couldn’t tell you.”

Mason was Philadelphia’s clear-cut No. 1 netminder this year, appearing in 61 games while matching a career high in wins, with 33. But the club also gave No. 2 Ray Emery a solid body of work — 28 appearances — and Emery does boast a wealth of postseason experience, taking Ottawa to the Stanley Cup Final in 2007 before starting all six games for Anaheim during an opening-round loss in 2011.

Emery also won a Stanley Cup with Chicago last year, though failed to see any action in the postseason.

1. sjsharks66 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM

The collision did not look that bad. I was surprised he didn’t play the 3rd. Even more surprised he is questionable for game 1.

• phillyphanatic77 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:39 PM

It doesn’t always take a huge hit to cause a concussion or concussion-like symptoms, but of course you wouldn’t worry cause it was your team doing the damage and you hate the Flyers anyway. If he misses this crucial game in a huge series against a bitter rival it will take my hatred for the Pens to an entirely new level.

Please be ok Mase!

• hockey412 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Didn’t think the collision was that bad, but was pretty clearly a shove. If it was a Flyer foward pushing Martin or Maatta into Fleury I’d be livid also. Hate away – the entire game was good enough to renew some angst on both sides.

• macgrubie - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:04 PM

My thoughts exactly. I’m shocked that penstroll didn’t think it was bad. Shocked….

• c9castine - Apr 16, 2014 at 12:49 AM

hahahaha wahhhh your a big meanie team and you dont care about my well being

come on..he didnt even take a direct hit. it was a guy getting hit and hitting into him. happens 15 times a game.

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:15 PM

If it was pittsburghs goalie you be cryin for a suspension

• hockey412 - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:23 PM

It’s happened. I think two years ago. Gionta snuck up behind Kennedy and put him into Fleury – out with a concussion. That, also, didn’t look bad. But it sure wasn’t good. And no, most of us were not happy.

2. ewoods6 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:37 PM

This guy gets panzy of the year award. Give me a break.

• phillyphanatic77 - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I’m assuming you’re a Pens fan…

• ewoods6 - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM

I’m a Rugby player, and I saw the hit. He’s soft. Period.

• narfmoo12 - Apr 15, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Sure you are!

• phillyphanatic77 - Apr 15, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Funny, I played rugby for the #6 team in the nation when I was in high school… don’t try the “I’m tough I played rugby” card… it gives you no added insight into whether a hit on someone else can cause injury.

• phillyphanatic77 - Apr 15, 2014 at 8:14 PM

By the way, I posted this video link to in no way make fun of Fleury; simply to point out, to what I assume is a Pens fan, that it doesn’t always take a big hit to rattle someones brain.

• xflyersx - Apr 15, 2014 at 10:13 PM

I like turtles.

• c9castine - Apr 16, 2014 at 12:50 AM

for what its worth im with you room full of skirts this is a big frickin charade hes playing

3. elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:23 PM

If my flyers goalie radar is working right its the time of year flyers goalies punk out on the playoffs

4. pdmjr - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Don’t be goofy, it doesn’t matter who plays in the nets, the Fliers wont win a game. Bet dat

• narfmoo12 - Apr 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I will take that bet!

• mcphillthy - Apr 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM

‘It doesn’t matter who plays in the nets’ lmao. That sounds like something bryz would have said. And Bryz sounds like an idiot.

5. bricktop02 - Apr 15, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Thanks for letting us know you’re a rugby player. You tool. Period.

6. idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Apr 15, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Flyers aren’t beating the Rangers without Mason if they’ll probably lose in 7 with Mason.

7. bleedrangerblue - Apr 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Wow the Flyers are being quiet on a possible injury during the playoffs. That’s a first… No story here. Why even bring it up?

8. bleedrangerblue - Apr 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM

@bloodyoucrave. Flyers aren’t beating the Rangers with Parent and Hextall in net. Be real Rangers are better.

• phillyphanatic77 - Apr 15, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Flyers are clrearly better up front, Rangers better on the blueline and in net (especially without Mason). Flyers more physical, Rangers better in transition. Flyers are better in total special teams (7th-PP, 7th-PK) than the Rangers (15th-PP, 3RD-PK). And they split the season series 2-2. Looking at it objectively I’d say the Rangers are the favorites (mainly bc of Lundqvist), but preseries projections (and regular season records) mean nothing come playoff time. Just ask the Penguins.

9. jhuck92 - Apr 15, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Not only do the Flyers need him back as soon as possible, they need him at the top of his game just to win the series. It’s that simple.

10. kastout11 - Apr 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM

They need a split in MSG regardless of whether Mason plays or Emery. Mason will definitely be back when they return to Philly, so a 1-1 split is manageable. Lundqvist is really freaking tough, but I think the Flyers physical play will hopefully wear down the Rangers and they can take the series in 7 (if Mason plays).

Top 10 NHL Player Searches