Apr 15, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
The New York Rangers have signed one of the top NCAA free agents in defenseman Mat Bodie to an entry-level deal, per ESPN.com.
Bodie is coming off a national title after serving as Union College’s captain. He had a goal and an assist in Union’s 7-4 victory over Minnesota in the championship game. He also led all NCAA defensemen with 39 points and recorded 57 penalty minutes in 40 games this season.
The 24-year-old was one of the defensemen named to ECAC Hockey’s 2013-14 First All-Star Team. He previously earned that distinction in 2011-12.
Rather than immediately join the Rangers, Brodie plans to finish his degree before attending the Rangers’ development camp over the summer.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22