Apr 15, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
The New York Rangers have signed one of the top NCAA free agents in defenseman Mat Bodie to an entry-level deal, per ESPN.com.
Bodie is coming off a national title after serving as Union College’s captain. He had a goal and an assist in Union’s 7-4 victory over Minnesota in the championship game. He also led all NCAA defensemen with 39 points and recorded 57 penalty minutes in 40 games this season.
The 24-year-old was one of the defensemen named to ECAC Hockey’s 2013-14 First All-Star Team. He previously earned that distinction in 2011-12.
Rather than immediately join the Rangers, Brodie plans to finish his degree before attending the Rangers’ development camp over the summer.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)