Apr 15, 2014, 9:52 AM EST
The New York Rangers have signed one of the top NCAA free agents in defenseman Mat Bodie to an entry-level deal, per ESPN.com.
Bodie is coming off a national title after serving as Union College’s captain. He had a goal and an assist in Union’s 7-4 victory over Minnesota in the championship game. He also led all NCAA defensemen with 39 points and recorded 57 penalty minutes in 40 games this season.
The 24-year-old was one of the defensemen named to ECAC Hockey’s 2013-14 First All-Star Team. He previously earned that distinction in 2011-12.
Rather than immediately join the Rangers, Brodie plans to finish his degree before attending the Rangers’ development camp over the summer.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)