Apr 15, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
The New York Rangers have signed one of the top NCAA free agents in defenseman Mat Bodie to an entry-level deal, per ESPN.com.
Bodie is coming off a national title after serving as Union College’s captain. He had a goal and an assist in Union’s 7-4 victory over Minnesota in the championship game. He also led all NCAA defensemen with 39 points and recorded 57 penalty minutes in 40 games this season.
The 24-year-old was one of the defensemen named to ECAC Hockey’s 2013-14 First All-Star Team. He previously earned that distinction in 2011-12.
Rather than immediately join the Rangers, Brodie plans to finish his degree before attending the Rangers’ development camp over the summer.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)