Apr 15, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
The New York Rangers have signed one of the top NCAA free agents in defenseman Mat Bodie to an entry-level deal, per ESPN.com.
Bodie is coming off a national title after serving as Union College’s captain. He had a goal and an assist in Union’s 7-4 victory over Minnesota in the championship game. He also led all NCAA defensemen with 39 points and recorded 57 penalty minutes in 40 games this season.
The 24-year-old was one of the defensemen named to ECAC Hockey’s 2013-14 First All-Star Team. He previously earned that distinction in 2011-12.
Rather than immediately join the Rangers, Brodie plans to finish his degree before attending the Rangers’ development camp over the summer.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8