Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
A year after losing out on the No. 1 pick, the Florida Panthers flipped the script.
Florida won the 2014 NHL Draft Lottery on Tuesday night, edging out Buffalo for top spot despite the Sabres holding superior odds for the first overall pick. Last year, the Panthers were on the other end of this scenario — they lost out on the first pick to Colorado, who jumped up from No. 2 and selected this year’s likely Calder Trophy winner, Nathan MacKinnon.
Travis Viola, the Panthers’ VP of Hockey Operations, was on hand for the decision. When put on the spot by TSN’s James Duthie as to who the club might select, Viola declined comment.
This will mark the second time in Panthers history that they’ve selected first overall. In 1994, the club took Ed Jovanovski with the No. 1 pick — Jovanovski, now 37, is the club’s current captain.
As for the remainder of the picks, here is the draft order and lottery result in full:
1st: Florida Panthers (moved up one spot)
2nd: Buffalo Sabres (moved down one spot)
3rd: Edmonton Oilers (retained)
4th: Calgary Flames (retained)
5th: New York Islanders (retained)
6th: Vancouver (retained)
7th: Carolina (retained)
8th: Toronto (retained)
9th: Winnipeg (retained)
10th: Anaheim (retained)
11th: Nashville (retained)
12th: Phoenix Coyotes (retained)
13th: Washington Capitals (retained)
New Jersey, who was part of the draft lottery, wasn’t eligible to get a top-14 pick due to punishment from the Ilya Kovalchuk contract situation. The Devils will draft 30th overall, the final pick of the opening round.
While there’s no consensus No.1 overall pick, draft pundits have identified a trio of players that’ll likely vie for the spot: OHL Barrie defenseman Aaron Ekblad, WHL Kootenay forward Sam Reinhart and OHL Kingston forward Sam Bennett, who finished atop the final NHL Central Scouting rankings for the ’14 draft. Leon Draisaitl, Michael Dal Colle, Nick Ritchie, Nikolaj Ehlers, Jake Virtanen, Kasperi Kapanen and Haydn Fleury are considered other potential top-10 picks.
One thing to note: New York, awarded the fifth overall pick, must now make a decision to forward it to Buffalo as part of the Thomas Vanek trade, or retain it and send a 2015 first-rounder to the Sabres. Islanders head scout Trent Klatt, who was on hand at the lottery, said the team had yet to make up its mind as to which pick it’ll send.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
“I can see, thank God, I can see,” he reportedly said.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
She reportedly hasn’t spoken to police since being released from the hospital.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
It was the game-winner, too.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars get the extra point.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
On the bright side, Michael Grabner may resume skating soon.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Tough times lately for St. Louis.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Speaking from experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
All the news and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)