Apr 15, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
A rather big story is quietly developing in Anaheim, where rookie Frederik Andersen has emerged as the favorite to start in goal for the Ducks when they kick off their first-round series Wednesday versus Dallas.
Andersen is 20-5-0 with a .923 save percentage, excellent numbers to be sure. But if Bruce Boudreau does decide to give the 24-year-old Dane the nod, the decision will be more about veteran Jonas Hiller‘s late-season struggles.
Rookie John Gibson is another option for the coach.
“We’re in position with three good goalies,” Boudreau said, per the L.A. Times. “I don’t think I can screw it up too bad whoever I choose.”
Maybe not, but the Ducks have high hopes after earning the top seed in the West, and Andersen only has 24 career NHL starts to his name.
“It’s my first time being part of the NHL playoffs, now the fun starts,” Andersen said. “I feel good, and if I’m called upon, I’ll feel comfortable going in.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)