Apr 15, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
A rather big story is quietly developing in Anaheim, where rookie Frederik Andersen has emerged as the favorite to start in goal for the Ducks when they kick off their first-round series Wednesday versus Dallas.
Andersen is 20-5-0 with a .923 save percentage, excellent numbers to be sure. But if Bruce Boudreau does decide to give the 24-year-old Dane the nod, the decision will be more about veteran Jonas Hiller‘s late-season struggles.
Rookie John Gibson is another option for the coach.
“We’re in position with three good goalies,” Boudreau said, per the L.A. Times. “I don’t think I can screw it up too bad whoever I choose.”
Maybe not, but the Ducks have high hopes after earning the top seed in the West, and Andersen only has 24 career NHL starts to his name.
“It’s my first time being part of the NHL playoffs, now the fun starts,” Andersen said. “I feel good, and if I’m called upon, I’ll feel comfortable going in.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)