Apr 14, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
The New York Islanders will have one possible story line out of the way this summer.
Isles GM Garth Snow said coach Jack Capuano will return for his fifth season behind the bench. As Arthur Staple of Newsday shares, Islanders players support the return of Capuano and his assistants.
“You saw Cappy’s system work extremely well at the end of the year,” Kyle Okposo said. “We were outworking and outplaying teams that were ahead of us in the standings. We played within the framework of the team really well. For whatever reason, we got away from that early in the year and it cost us.”
Injuries were a major buzzkill for the Islanders this season. Captain John Tavares and fellow star forwards Okposo and Michael Grabner suffered season-ending ailments as did defensemen Lubomir Visnovsky, Brian Strait, and Calvin de Haan.
Capuano should get a full regalia or players back next season, setting the bar for him to try and re-capture the magic they had last season when they made the playoffs. As long as Snow is bringing back his coach, now maybe he can give him some help by finding a way to improve the goaltending position.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)