Apr 14, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford didn’t hold back on Monday in expressing his displeasure with the 2013-14 campaign.
“So frustrating for everyone on our team, for our fans, for everyone involved,” Rutherford explained, per the Raleigh News & Observer. “This might have been the most frustrating team to watch in a long time.”
Rutherford, rumored to be on his way out as GM and replaced by Ron Francis, was reportedly dissatisfied with the ‘Canes throughout the year. He was said to be pursuing a trade to shake things up midway through the season but, and the end of the day, his lone move of significance was flipping Tim Gleason to Toronto in exchange for John-Michael Liles.
The Hurricanes went 36-35-11 this year and missed the playoffs for the fifth straight season. They’ve qualified for the postseason just once since winning the Stanley Cup in 2006, a big reason why Rutherford — and head coach Kirk Muller — are on the hot seat(s).
Muller has a year remaining on his contract. He said he has gotten no assurances from team owner Peter Karmanos Jr. or management about next season but hopes to return.
“We’ve got a good group of young guys,” he said. “As far as this year we’re not happy we didn’t make the playoffs, but I want to be around to turn this thing around. I want to get this team in the right direction.”
And here’s more, from the New York Post:
It is, according to sources, a fait accompli in Carolina that Kirk Muller will be dismissed a head coach at the conclusion of the season by incoming GM Ron Francis. The Candy Canes have made the playoffs once in eight seasons since winning the 2006 Stanley Cup.
Just to add fuel to the fire, the futures of a number of Carolina mainstays — Eric Staal, Jeff Skinner, Cam Ward — have also come into question as well. Why? Well, to hear Rutherford explain it, things simply can’t continue they way they went this season.
“You’d see the team play a certain way and feel good about it,” Rutherford explained. “A night later, you might not know it’s the same team playing.”
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)