Apr 14, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford didn’t hold back on Monday in expressing his displeasure with the 2013-14 campaign.
“So frustrating for everyone on our team, for our fans, for everyone involved,” Rutherford explained, per the Raleigh News & Observer. “This might have been the most frustrating team to watch in a long time.”
Rutherford, rumored to be on his way out as GM and replaced by Ron Francis, was reportedly dissatisfied with the ‘Canes throughout the year. He was said to be pursuing a trade to shake things up midway through the season but, and the end of the day, his lone move of significance was flipping Tim Gleason to Toronto in exchange for John-Michael Liles.
The Hurricanes went 36-35-11 this year and missed the playoffs for the fifth straight season. They’ve qualified for the postseason just once since winning the Stanley Cup in 2006, a big reason why Rutherford — and head coach Kirk Muller — are on the hot seat(s).
Muller has a year remaining on his contract. He said he has gotten no assurances from team owner Peter Karmanos Jr. or management about next season but hopes to return.
“We’ve got a good group of young guys,” he said. “As far as this year we’re not happy we didn’t make the playoffs, but I want to be around to turn this thing around. I want to get this team in the right direction.”
And here’s more, from the New York Post:
It is, according to sources, a fait accompli in Carolina that Kirk Muller will be dismissed a head coach at the conclusion of the season by incoming GM Ron Francis. The Candy Canes have made the playoffs once in eight seasons since winning the 2006 Stanley Cup.
Just to add fuel to the fire, the futures of a number of Carolina mainstays — Eric Staal, Jeff Skinner, Cam Ward — have also come into question as well. Why? Well, to hear Rutherford explain it, things simply can’t continue they way they went this season.
“You’d see the team play a certain way and feel good about it,” Rutherford explained. “A night later, you might not know it’s the same team playing.”
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)