Report: No hearing scheduled for Byron after Sedin hit

Apr 14, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT

Calgary forward Paul Byron isn’t scheduled for a disciplinary hearing for his hit on Vancouver’s Daniel Sedin during a 5-1 loss on Sunday, according to Sportsnet.

Here’s the incident in question, from two separate angles:

source:

source:

Byron was assessed a five-minute penalty for boarding and a game misconduct on the play, while Sedin was stretchered off the ice and sent to local hospital for evaluation. Sedin’s agent, J.P. Barry, said his client was released last night and spent the evening at home with his family.

The hit and subsequent decision to not suspend Byron aren’t the only contentious issues at hand. Following last night’s game, Canucks head coach John Tortorella went off at Flames bench boss Bob Hartley — the same guy Tortorella tried to attack in January — claiming that Hartley showed Sedin a lack of respect.

“It’s been a rough year, but it’s embarrassing to coach against the guy across from me tonight. Some of the things that went on when Danny was hurt, it’s embarrassing,” Tortorella said, alluding to reports that Hartley was yelling at Henrik Sedin and the officiating crew while Daniel was laying on the ice.

“It just pisses me off,” Tortorella continued. “I just don’t like the disrespect with players. It aggravates me. I am not going to go any further. I don’t like the way he does business. I don’t like him, and eventually I guess why I am talking about it in this way is because I need to protect my players and a lot of people don’t understand that, so I’ll just leave it at that. I don’t know why I opened it up.”

Update: Sedin attended Vancouver’s end-of-year media availability on Monday and updated his health:

“I was scared because I felt something wasn’t right,” Sedin explained. “I hit my head into the glass and fell down, and I tried to move my head but I couldn’t get it off the ice.

“It was scary.”

Latest Posts
  1. Columbus’ Cam Atkinson avoids damage to eye after skate bloodies his face

Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT

atkinson

“I can see, thank God, I can see,” he reportedly said.

2. Report: Lawyer for Voynov’s wife says her take on incident isn’t ‘radically different’

Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpte3nju0ywnmnjbkytrlmwjlmtu4mgixnzhhmdlhzme5 AP

She reportedly hasn’t spoken to police since being released from the hospital.

3. More like it? Avs crush Canucks

Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT

Florida Panthers v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.

4. Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene

Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT

Sabers Ducks Hockey AP

Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.

5. Fights: Salvador brawls with Roussel, Gudas and Byfuglien grapple

Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT

New Jersey Devils v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.

6. Oh, shoot: Devils drop 18th shootout in a row

Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT

New York Islanders v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

The Dallas Stars get the extra point.

7. Lightning lose Brown, Connolly for the night

Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v Calgary Flames Getty Images

Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.

8. Ondrej chases Ondrej: Jets’ Pavelec gets the hook

Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT

Winnipeg Jets' goalie Ondrej Pavelec, of Czech Republic, stands in front of his goal before playing an NHL hockey game against the Vancouver Canucks in Vancouver, British Columbia on Sunday, Dec. 22, 2013. (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Darryl Dyck) AP

Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.

9. Report: Hamonic might miss Isles’ Saturday game

Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT

New York Islanders v New York Rangers Getty Images

On the bright side, Michael Grabner may resume skating soon.

10. Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos

Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT

J.T. Brown, Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Drouin AP

Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.

11. Columbus activates Milano from IR, gets McElhinney back

Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT

Sonny Milano Getty Images

They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.

12. Struggling Sharks bump Pavelski down to third line

Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT

San Jose Sharks v New York Rangers Getty Images

San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.

13. Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL

Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT

Washington Capitals v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.

14. With 3-on-3 overtime, only two out of 16 AHL games have gone to shootout

Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

AHLlogo

Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.

15. BizNasty signs with the Devils (the ones in Wales)

Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT

Paul Bissonnette Getty Images

Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.

16. Goalie nods: Gibson returns for Anaheim

Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT

John Gibson Getty Images

All the news and notes from the blue paint…

17. Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’

Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

Alex Ovechkin Getty Images

“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive