Report: No hearing scheduled for Byron after Sedin hit

Apr 14, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT

Calgary forward Paul Byron isn’t scheduled for a disciplinary hearing for his hit on Vancouver’s Daniel Sedin during a 5-1 loss on Sunday, according to Sportsnet.

Here’s the incident in question, from two separate angles:

source:

source:

Byron was assessed a five-minute penalty for boarding and a game misconduct on the play, while Sedin was stretchered off the ice and sent to local hospital for evaluation. Sedin’s agent, J.P. Barry, said his client was released last night and spent the evening at home with his family.

The hit and subsequent decision to not suspend Byron aren’t the only contentious issues at hand. Following last night’s game, Canucks head coach John Tortorella went off at Flames bench boss Bob Hartley — the same guy Tortorella tried to attack in January — claiming that Hartley showed Sedin a lack of respect.

“It’s been a rough year, but it’s embarrassing to coach against the guy across from me tonight. Some of the things that went on when Danny was hurt, it’s embarrassing,” Tortorella said, alluding to reports that Hartley was yelling at Henrik Sedin and the officiating crew while Daniel was laying on the ice.

“It just pisses me off,” Tortorella continued. “I just don’t like the disrespect with players. It aggravates me. I am not going to go any further. I don’t like the way he does business. I don’t like him, and eventually I guess why I am talking about it in this way is because I need to protect my players and a lot of people don’t understand that, so I’ll just leave it at that. I don’t know why I opened it up.”

Update: Sedin attended Vancouver’s end-of-year media availability on Monday and updated his health:

“I was scared because I felt something wasn’t right,” Sedin explained. “I hit my head into the glass and fell down, and I tried to move my head but I couldn’t get it off the ice.

“It was scary.”

Latest Posts
  1. Fleury returned to junior, won’t crack ‘Canes blueline this year

Oct 2, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT

Haydn Fleury Haydn Fleury

Seventh overall pick at ’14 draft is headed to WHL Red Deer.

2. Senators name Erik Karlsson as ninth captain

Oct 2, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT

Erik Karlsson AP

They’re betting on him lasting longer than Spezza.

3. Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension

Oct 2, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT

Bobby Ryan Getty Images

They didn’t want another top forward to slip away.

4. Robidas (leg) expects to play in opener

Oct 2, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT

Stephane Robidas Getty Images

Toronto signed him to a three-year deal in July.

5. Risk Factors: Columbus Blue Jackets edition

Oct 2, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v Columbus Blue Jackets - Game Six Getty Images

A few tough breaks and the optimism is eroding a bit.

6. Pittsburgh releases Daniel Carcillo from tryout

Oct 2, 2014, 8:26 AM EDT

Daniel Carcillo Getty Images

That brings the Penguins’ roster down to 31 players.

7. Pens are uncertain if Malkin can play opening night

Oct 1, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v New York Rangers - Game Six Getty Images

“The next few days will be the turning point,” GM Jim Rutherford said.

8. Trotz wants to manage Ovechkin’s time on power play

Oct 1, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Alex Ovechkin AP

It’s not as foolish as it sounds … maybe.

9. It is an ‘important week’ regarding Alfredsson’s future with Detroit

Oct 1, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT

Henrik Zetterberg, Daniel Alfredsson AP

According to fellow Swede and Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg.

10. Coyotes’ King headed back to Russia

Oct 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

DaveKing AP

Where he’ll resume coaching duties for KHL Lokomotiv.

11. B’s send four to AHL, including Spooner and Florek

Oct 1, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Winnipeg Jets Getty Images

Didn’t take advantage of their opportunities.

12. NHL refutes report, says no meeting planned with IOC on Olympic participation

Oct 1, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT

Sweden men's ice hockey player Nicklas Backstrom skates during a team practice at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Reuters

“We have not been in contact with the IOC and they have not been in touch with us.”

13. Jackets lose Jenner (hand surgery) for five weeks

Oct 1, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT

Boone Jenner #38 of the Columbus Blue Jackets skates against the New York Islanders at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on October 5, 2013 in Uniondale, New York. The Blue Jackets defeated the Islanders 3-2 in the shootout.
(October 4, 2013 - Source: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

Meaning all of Columbus’ No. 1 line — Jenner, Ryan Johansen and Nathan Horton — is now out of action.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches