Report: No hearing scheduled for Byron after Sedin hit

Apr 14, 2014, 12:39 PM EST

Calgary forward Paul Byron isn’t scheduled for a disciplinary hearing for his hit on Vancouver’s Daniel Sedin during a 5-1 loss on Sunday, according to Sportsnet.

Here’s the incident in question, from two separate angles:

source:

source:

Byron was assessed a five-minute penalty for boarding and a game misconduct on the play, while Sedin was stretchered off the ice and sent to local hospital for evaluation. Sedin’s agent, J.P. Barry, said his client was released last night and spent the evening at home with his family.

The hit and subsequent decision to not suspend Byron aren’t the only contentious issues at hand. Following last night’s game, Canucks head coach John Tortorella went off at Flames bench boss Bob Hartley — the same guy Tortorella tried to attack in January — claiming that Hartley showed Sedin a lack of respect.

“It’s been a rough year, but it’s embarrassing to coach against the guy across from me tonight. Some of the things that went on when Danny was hurt, it’s embarrassing,” Tortorella said, alluding to reports that Hartley was yelling at Henrik Sedin and the officiating crew while Daniel was laying on the ice.

“It just pisses me off,” Tortorella continued. “I just don’t like the disrespect with players. It aggravates me. I am not going to go any further. I don’t like the way he does business. I don’t like him, and eventually I guess why I am talking about it in this way is because I need to protect my players and a lot of people don’t understand that, so I’ll just leave it at that. I don’t know why I opened it up.”

Update: Sedin attended Vancouver’s end-of-year media availability on Monday and updated his health:

“I was scared because I felt something wasn’t right,” Sedin explained. “I hit my head into the glass and fell down, and I tried to move my head but I couldn’t get it off the ice.

“It was scary.”

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Iginla reaches 20-goal mark for 16th time in NHL career

Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST

Ottawa Senators v Colorado Avalanche Ottawa Senators v Colorado Avalanche

He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.

2. Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers

Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST

Marek Zidlicky, Jesper Fast AP

What better way to make an impression on new teammates.

3. Video: Byfuglien leaves game with upper-body injury

Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST

Dustin Byfuglien Getty

Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.

4. Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley

Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST

MartinDaley

Also, for causing “significant injury.”

5. NHL GMs to address emergency goalie rule following Florida incident

Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST

Roberto Luongo, Al Montoya Getty Images

“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”

6. Julien talks up Bergeron as next Bruins captain

Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST

patricebergerongetty Getty Images

“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”

7. Get your game notes: Rangers at Wings, Rivalry Night

Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptyzogi1mdrmnjbmndc0odgwmzmyyzm5mmi3zdzjodlj AP

An Original Six matchup at the Joe.

8. Season over? Clarkson out 4-6 weeks with torn oblique muscle

Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST

New Jersey Devils v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.

9. TVR to play this weekend for Rockford (AHL)

Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST

Trevor van Riemsdyk Getty Images

‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.

10. Wings clear Zetterberg (upper body) to face Rangers

Mar 4, 2015, 2:04 PM EST

Detroit Red Wings v Florida Panthers Getty Images

Detroit captain draws in for the first time in four games.

11. Boyle, Tanguay to play in 1,000th NHL games tonight

Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EST

Colorado Avalanche v New York Rangers Getty Images

Boyle and the Rangers take on Detroit (on NBCSN), Tanguay and the Avs will play Pittsburgh.

Reactions from NHL trade deadline