Report: No hearing scheduled for Byron after Sedin hit

Apr 14, 2014, 12:39 PM EST

Calgary forward Paul Byron isn’t scheduled for a disciplinary hearing for his hit on Vancouver’s Daniel Sedin during a 5-1 loss on Sunday, according to Sportsnet.

Here’s the incident in question, from two separate angles:

source:

source:

Byron was assessed a five-minute penalty for boarding and a game misconduct on the play, while Sedin was stretchered off the ice and sent to local hospital for evaluation. Sedin’s agent, J.P. Barry, said his client was released last night and spent the evening at home with his family.

The hit and subsequent decision to not suspend Byron aren’t the only contentious issues at hand. Following last night’s game, Canucks head coach John Tortorella went off at Flames bench boss Bob Hartley — the same guy Tortorella tried to attack in January — claiming that Hartley showed Sedin a lack of respect.

“It’s been a rough year, but it’s embarrassing to coach against the guy across from me tonight. Some of the things that went on when Danny was hurt, it’s embarrassing,” Tortorella said, alluding to reports that Hartley was yelling at Henrik Sedin and the officiating crew while Daniel was laying on the ice.

“It just pisses me off,” Tortorella continued. “I just don’t like the disrespect with players. It aggravates me. I am not going to go any further. I don’t like the way he does business. I don’t like him, and eventually I guess why I am talking about it in this way is because I need to protect my players and a lot of people don’t understand that, so I’ll just leave it at that. I don’t know why I opened it up.”

Update: Sedin attended Vancouver’s end-of-year media availability on Monday and updated his health:

“I was scared because I felt something wasn’t right,” Sedin explained. “I hit my head into the glass and fell down, and I tried to move my head but I couldn’t get it off the ice.

“It was scary.”

1. laxnhockey - Apr 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM

This is a good early indication that the discipline department now has someone heading it up who knows what they’re doing. Good riddance Shanabum, Toronto deserves you.

• nj666 - Apr 14, 2014 at 1:20 PM

you dolts will cry no matter whos handing out the suspensions “wah colin campbell is awful” “wah shanahan is awful”

• joey4id - Apr 14, 2014 at 1:47 PM

sheep, do you really think the decision whether to suspend or not comes down to one man in the dept. of player safety?

• laxnhockey - Apr 14, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Who said “the decision whether to suspend or not comes down to one man”, when and where was that stated?

{{{{{{crickets chirping}}}}}}

The next time your mom let’s you go up out of her basement, ask her to put down the ice cream and help you begin to learn how to comprehend the English language.

• joey4id - Apr 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM

laxy, old friend…. LOL!

Follow the sheep in front of you and the shepherd shall lead you to the edge of the precipice after which you shall fall of the edge after the sheep ahead of you falls. Now be gone you illiterate sheep! :-)

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 14, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I can’t wait until the first week of next season when you and everyone else is complaining about how awful that department is

• laxnhockey - Apr 14, 2014 at 3:55 PM

That may be. In the meantime, let me suggest a reading comprehension course for you and these other bottom feeders.

What I said was, “This is a good early indication….”

Should I have emphasized “early” and do you know what “indication” means?

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 14, 2014 at 4:42 PM

It seems like you have no idea what you wrote, shocking.

• dtownbeatdown - Apr 14, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Not to add fuel to the fire but laxnhockey you were the one that stated “someone heading it up who knows what they are doing” Key word is someone, it literally has the word one in it. Meaning one person. Then saying good riddance to the last safety czar Shanahan definitely shows you believe it is a one man show. You lose… bro.

• laxnhockey - Apr 14, 2014 at 8:57 PM

I see you struggle with grammar as well. Let’s hope it improves when you get to high school….bro.

What would be the department and what would that “someone” be heading up…..bro? I want to start out with an easy one so you can keep up.

The answer is discipline.

It sounds like you have no idea what a department head may be. I’m shocked!! In this case, it’s the guy, the figurehead that they march out for the media, etc… this “someone” who heads up the “department” that doles out discipline.

I’ll pause so you can catch up.

Now, I’m taking a big leap here because I’m guessing he has an admin assistant to get him coffee, open the mail, answer phones, etc… He may have another assistant who cues up video clips, handles the technology and maybe a few others doing whatever it is they do in that “department”.

You seem to have an active imagination, so in the future use it more wisely and you won’t come off as such a dunce.

2. mp1131211 - Apr 14, 2014 at 12:49 PM

This is the right call. This was just an unfortunate event for Sedin.

• salmon90 - Apr 14, 2014 at 3:04 PM

would you say the same if it was Kassian dishing out the hit on a player like Cammalleri?

3. sjsharks66 - Apr 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM

He’s already suspended all of the off season. :P

4. dutchman1350 - Apr 14, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Agree on the non-suspension. Very unfortunate for Daniel, hope he gets back to 100%.

Maybe NHL needs to consider allowing the checker to clutch the player being checked into the boards….may eliminate some of these injuries?

5. elvispocomo - Apr 14, 2014 at 1:16 PM

While it wasn’t the worst hit from behind I’ve seen, I’m surprised they’re not taking a look at it since it’s obviously still a dangerous (and illegal) play and resulted in injury.

• laxnhockey - Apr 14, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I didn’t read that “they’re not taking a look at it”. I’m betting “they” took several looks at it and made the decision that nothing further was needed; certainly not a hearing.

It wasn’t an “illegal” play or they would likely be holding a hearing and more.

• elvispocomo - Apr 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM

But of course by taking a look I’m talking about having a phone hearing. It’s still illegal based on the penalty assessed, but they’re saying they think that’s enough discipline with the call on the ice.

Recent examples of Comeau and Kassian getting 2 and 3 games respectively for boarding, albeit a little more violent looking, make the argument very plausible this deserved at least a fine. The key point is if you believe Byron was holding up by only pushing Daniel into the boards or if his momentum alone before adding the push was enough to require that he make an extra effort to soften the contact.

• joey4id - Apr 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Indeed because “the discipline department now has someone heading it up who knows what they’re doing.”

It’s not the discipline dept…. no such thing. LOL! It’s called “Department of Player Safety”.

• laxnhockey - Apr 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Congratulations, little joey knows the formal name of the department within the NHL that doles our discipline.

Your mama’s going to be so proud of you someday.

I forgot about your stunted development that makes little joey unable to comprehend basic grammar, such as not using capitals when employing the figure of speech, “discipline department”, in my initial commentary.

Your mama must be so embarrassed.

• joey4id - Apr 14, 2014 at 10:32 PM

she is embarrassed by the fact that I am responding to your stupid comments. she said that you are an insect to be squashed underfoot. now she is proud of me. is your mommy proud of you little laxy? 😜

6. dtownbeatdown - Apr 14, 2014 at 1:17 PM

I know some may not like it, but that hit did not deserve a suspension. The outcome was bad indeed, but there was no way he was intentionally trying to injure.

This whole idea just because a player gets injured that it automatically should be addressed as a suspension needs to go.

7. bwayblueshirt - Apr 14, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Hit from behind, square in the numbers, plenty of time to avoid or minimize contact. This looks like a suspendable hit to me. Probably would’ve been suspended if Calgary was a playoff team.

• edog9897 - Apr 14, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Wasnt square in the numbers…dani turned away at the last minute…dani put his head down…dani didnt brace with his hands

Dani played that hit the way meathead hall wouldve and thus got creamed as hall so often does. The guys a vet he knows how to protect himself but for some reason didnt do it. At some point skaters need to be held accountable for protecting themselves from a hit that happens several times a week. Hopefully this is a wake up call to hitees not hitters!

• laxnhockey - Apr 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM

He didn’t turn away at the last minute.

It may have been square in the numbers on his left arm.

8. dropthepuckeh - Apr 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I don’t want to assume anything nefarious but what was Sedin’s injury exactly? Clearly he went down and it looked horrible but he seems to be fine now, made it home to his family and came back to clean out his locker.

• elvispocomo - Apr 14, 2014 at 5:14 PM

They haven’t been specific on that, but there was mention of a stinger. I’d assume there was some level of a concussion and/or shock to the system from the impact where he couldn’t lift his head off the ice after the hit (Daniel specifically mentioned that) and caused the worry about his spine and mobility.

9. muckleflugga - Apr 14, 2014 at 3:05 PM

where are all the experts calling for byron’s head …

this is for mackstrong2013, ibieiniid and slickvb82 as advanced from a related blog

luddites all

where in my comment does suggestion of need for design change suggest removing boards or glass … the matter is under study in the moment by several industrial design shops … all populated with human factors engineers capable of reading

but reference to transportation by mackstrong2013 is apt though unwittingly so … most of what has happened in industrial design was precipitated by need to streamline trains, build the bombardiers’ compartment in b29 bombers and of course automobiles

among millions of other man made objects, all three continue to be focus of change in design to benefit safety of operators

as recently as the 1950s through 1970s, occupants of cars routinely died in collisions involving speeds less than fifteen miles an hour, primarily because of bad interior design … interior components shredded bodies, people were impaled on steering columns and of course the windshield was lethal

it’s all about removing projecting components and unmovable abutments and energy absorption and dispersion

i’ve seen a video of bmw rolling on the autobahn at a speed estimated to be over 160 mph … the driver crawled out of a nearly intact car, casually opened his cellphone, called for a tow truck, then had a smoke

bmw employs some of the most exacting and advanced car design and human factors analysis anywhere

while the nhl made some minor changes to rink design after pacioretty was nearly decapitated, they’ve fallen short of meaningful change because the league is run by luddites

there is all kinds of technology available that would make player equipment and helmets better … routine changes to the boards and glass would stop injuries of the like suffered by daniel sedin –even fans are at risk with exploding panels or whole panels falling on people’s heads, sometimes children

but those changes would require the removal of the first row of seats around the rink … can’t have that … it would cost money but the fools running the game are not capable of effective cost benefit studies –measuring lost-time injuries against revenue losses

complicit in the entire affair is the nhlpa that does precious little to protect players beyond job security and earnings power

worse still are idiots in the fan base without sufficient imagination to press for change … they’re too busy bleating-on about intent and sanction for hits causing injury along the boards and glass

the boards and glass are the problem, end of story

• matt14gg - Apr 14, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Get over yourself.

• stakex - Apr 14, 2014 at 4:34 PM

That is one of the worst pieces of writing I have ever read when it comes to hockey and safety. Comparing safety in an NHL game to car accidents? Saying that Plexiglas “explodes”? Wow… so much ignorance.

I could go tear into so much of that post, but debating utter ignorance just gives it credibility… however let me point out one thing: When Plexiglas shatters, the pieces aren’t dangerous. Its a type of safety glass that’s specifically designed NOT to cut you if it breaks. Anyone who knows anything about hockey should know that…. and since the writer of this piece clearly doesn’t know that, he has no business talking about hockey.

• phxyotes - Apr 14, 2014 at 7:05 PM

You’re a complete dope.

• mackstrong2013 - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:14 AM

Do you even know what a luddite is you muppet? How does my mocking of your ludicrous rambling equate to me protesting advancement of any kind? All you are, is a butt-hurt who spews pseudo facts, and apparently holds grudges on the Internet.

10. phxyotes - Apr 14, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Good call by the NHL, there was in intent to injure Sedin at all there. The guy was just playing hockey…

11. slysipops - Apr 14, 2014 at 8:34 PM

if you’ve ever played in a pro rink …the boards have a lot of give … some almost mushy. i’m sure it’s for safety purposes and partially to get the fans jacked after a hit !

12. muckleflugga - Apr 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM

stakex

no no nooo … tear my comment down … show us what you know genius

join the chronically stupid with their one-off comments and tell us how the boards in hockey rinks are mushy and how the so-called safety glass is safe … then tell us why players are badly damaged night after night in pro-hockey after collisions with rink fixtures

look, i read you’re commentary and i appreciate that you’re likely young … your chief gift is someone was able to train you how to turn your computer … otherwise you demonstrate with every comment how little you know about hockey or the world in general

engineering is a big big big word

reading these lists it’s clear you’re not alone … matt14gg and phxyotes and slysipops prove simple genetic truths … the spawn of the genetically stupid are typically stupid

the greater sin of the stupid is inability to pose an argument substantiated with fact … that would require ability to read and full use of hands otherwise occupied jacking-off into mother’s nighty

the dull and ignorant continue so because they refuse to learn … still, someone has to serve hamburgers and mop floors so who am i to judge

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches