Apr 14, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
After 15 seasons with the Nashville Predators, Barry Trotz won’t be the head coach anymore.
Predators GM David Poile announced this afternoon that after two consecutive seasons out of the playoffs, Trotz’s contract would not be extended past this season and they will seek out a new coach for the first time since the Predators were founded in 1998.
Poile was emotional making today’s statement:
Trotz was offered a position with the organization’s hockey operations department but after being the only head coach the team has had, he may want to take a break from things in Nashville. Trotz will also likely have a host of suitors this summer with coaching vacancies possibly opening up in Vancouver and Toronto.
During Trotz’s tenure in Nashville, the Predators made the playoffs in seven of his 15 seasons behind the bench. The Preds reached the Western Conference semifinals in back-to-back seasons in 2010-11 and 2011-12.
Since then, the Preds have fallen back to the pack and amassed 88 points this season, good for sixth place in the Central Division. The 38 wins the Predators earned this year were the fewest in an 82-game season since 2003-04. Coincidentally enough, that was the first season Nashville made the playoffs.
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 6
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 3
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)