Apr 14, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
After 15 seasons with the Nashville Predators, Barry Trotz won’t be the head coach anymore.
Predators GM David Poile announced this afternoon that after two consecutive seasons out of the playoffs, Trotz’s contract would not be extended past this season and they will seek out a new coach for the first time since the Predators were founded in 1998.
Poile was emotional making today’s statement:
Trotz was offered a position with the organization’s hockey operations department but after being the only head coach the team has had, he may want to take a break from things in Nashville. Trotz will also likely have a host of suitors this summer with coaching vacancies possibly opening up in Vancouver and Toronto.
During Trotz’s tenure in Nashville, the Predators made the playoffs in seven of his 15 seasons behind the bench. The Preds reached the Western Conference semifinals in back-to-back seasons in 2010-11 and 2011-12.
Since then, the Preds have fallen back to the pack and amassed 88 points this season, good for sixth place in the Central Division. The 38 wins the Predators earned this year were the fewest in an 82-game season since 2003-04. Coincidentally enough, that was the first season Nashville made the playoffs.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals reportedly sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 8
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 21
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)