Apr 14, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes missed the playoffs for the second consecutive season. While they missed by a slim margin this season, GM Don Maloney is tired of losing and said things have to change.
As Sarah McLellan of the AZCentral.com shares, Maloney feels everyone from the top down has to get better.
“We certainly came into this year with the expectation to be a playoff team,” Maloney said. “That to me is a minimum goal for this franchise. It didn’t happen, and so now we have to figure out what went wrong and that’s the job of myself and the staff and work with the coaches to get better and that’s what we’re all about here.”
One thing Maloney wasn’t able to do all season was add a top-six scorer. He spoke back in August about his desire to add to the offense of the team, but only came away with Martin Erat at the trade deadline.
A healthy Smith and a boost the offense would make for a good start in the offseason. The Coyotes have a host of young defensemen that could be dangled in a trade. Expect Maloney’s phone to be busy this summer.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)