Apr 14, 2014, 9:05 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes missed the playoffs for the second consecutive season. While they missed by a slim margin this season, GM Don Maloney is tired of losing and said things have to change.
As Sarah McLellan of the AZCentral.com shares, Maloney feels everyone from the top down has to get better.
“We certainly came into this year with the expectation to be a playoff team,” Maloney said. “That to me is a minimum goal for this franchise. It didn’t happen, and so now we have to figure out what went wrong and that’s the job of myself and the staff and work with the coaches to get better and that’s what we’re all about here.”
One thing Maloney wasn’t able to do all season was add a top-six scorer. He spoke back in August about his desire to add to the offense of the team, but only came away with Martin Erat at the trade deadline.
A healthy Smith and a boost the offense would make for a good start in the offseason. The Coyotes have a host of young defensemen that could be dangled in a trade. Expect Maloney’s phone to be busy this summer.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 1
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 5
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 24
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)