Apr 14, 2014, 9:05 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes missed the playoffs for the second consecutive season. While they missed by a slim margin this season, GM Don Maloney is tired of losing and said things have to change.
As Sarah McLellan of the AZCentral.com shares, Maloney feels everyone from the top down has to get better.
“We certainly came into this year with the expectation to be a playoff team,” Maloney said. “That to me is a minimum goal for this franchise. It didn’t happen, and so now we have to figure out what went wrong and that’s the job of myself and the staff and work with the coaches to get better and that’s what we’re all about here.”
One thing Maloney wasn’t able to do all season was add a top-six scorer. He spoke back in August about his desire to add to the offense of the team, but only came away with Martin Erat at the trade deadline.
A healthy Smith and a boost the offense would make for a good start in the offseason. The Coyotes have a host of young defensemen that could be dangled in a trade. Expect Maloney’s phone to be busy this summer.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (74)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)