Apr 14, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
Getting goalie Cory Schneider signed to a contract extension is “right on the top of” Lou Lamoriello’s offseason to-do list.
But the Devils’ general manager was less forthright about the future of Martin Brodeur, a pending unrestricted free agent.
“I think that right now you just take a step back,” Lamoriello said, per The Record. “It was a very difficult situation on both goaltenders, a very difficult situation certainly on the coaching staff, but when you have an opportunity that we did at that given time and knowing what the future is, that’s a decision I made and I take responsibility for that. I certainly would do it over a knowing what the potential was and it’s real. But, right now, that’s not something I’m thinking of.
“I’m thinking of a lot of things right now and I have to just sit down with Marty and have a discussion.”
If Brodeur were just some goalie, his age (41) and numbers (.901 save percentage) would make Lamoriello’s decision an easy one. Schneider would become the undisputed number one and another goalie — perhaps young Keith Kincaid — would become the backup.
Brodeur, of course, is not just some goalie. He’s a franchise legend. And one does not simply cast aside a franchise legend.
That being said, Lamoriello must also think about Schneider, who already had to deal with an uncomfortable situation in Vancouver when he took the starting job away from Roberto Luongo. When he was traded to New Jersey in the summer, he walked into another uncomfortable situation.
Schneider, 28, has a career .925 save percentage. Among active goalies with over 100 games played in the NHL, only Tuukka Rask (.928) has stopped a higher percentage of shots than that.
Schneider is signed through next season for a cap hit of $4 million, after which he can become an unrestricted free agent. He’s eligible to sign an extension on July 1.
Nov 1, 2014, 1:12 AM EDT
Scored the winner from a sharp angle.
Nov 1, 2014, 12:26 AM EDT
Darryl Sutter spoke at great length.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:58 PM EDT
Oct 31, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Injuries piling up in Calgary.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
That’s four losses in a row for Columbus.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
This one got a little testy.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
No penalty on the play, for those wondering. Appeared clean all the way.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:34 PM EDT
Oct 31, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
Folks continue to rally around Mr. Hockey.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
What is going on with the defending champs?
Oct 31, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
He’s on the left in that photo. Doing what his old man used to do.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
Has been on quite a roll down in Utica.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Meanwhile, sounds like Carter Ashton makes his season debut.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The hit occurred seconds before Vancouver scored.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Hasn’t played since Oct. 8.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Could play Saturday against Washington.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
At the same time, Claude Julien admits the B’s “are still trying to find that confidence level that comes with winning on a regular basis.”
Oct 31, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
“I just haven’t come to that decision yet.”
Oct 31, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
When Philly takes on the Panthers in Florida.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)