Apr 14, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning coach Jon Cooper has been one of the best in the business this season. He took the Lightning from being a lottery team last season to second place in the Atlantic Division.
With solid coaching comes funky ideas and, even though Tampa Bay has home-ice advantage in their opening round series against the Montreal Canadiens, he has an idea how to change things up to make it more interesting.
As Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times shares, Cooper wants to see the top team go on the road for Games 1, 5, 7 and spend their four games on home ice in Games 2, 3, 4, and 6.
“Now that’s home ice to me,” Cooper said. “I haven’t done the research but I’m fairly certain more series are ended in Games 4, 5 and 6 than Game 7, so why would the home ice be in just the last game?“
Cooper said the idea is to give credit, and perhaps an advantage, to the lower-seed for scratching out a seventh game in the series.
The chances of this idea catching fire amongst the competition committee or with other GMs would be pretty close to nil, but the thought behind it is one worth chewing on. At the very least it makes for great barroom discussion/comment fodder.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)