Apr 14, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
It’s been almost a month since Jonathan Ericsson underwent surgery on his broken finger — a lengthy time to be shelved, but apparently not enough for the injury to fully heal.
Ericsson is unlikely to be available for Detroit’s opening-round playoff series against Boston, GM Ken Holland told the Macomb Daily. The injury, which the club originally thought would only sideline Ericsson for 10-14 days, ended up requiring a 4-6 week timetable, forcing the Swedish blueliner to miss the last 14 games of the regular season.
This has been a crazy year for Ericsson overall. He’s been pretty good when healthy — scoring 11 points in 48 games while averaging over 21 minutes a night — and signed a big six-year, $25.5 million extension with Detroit in November. But he’s had absolutely miserable luck health-wise, missing time with rib and shoulder injuries prior to the broken finger.
Not having him available for the opening playoff round will be tough on Detroit, as Ericsson’s one of the club’s most veteran players — he has 64 games of playoff experience on his resume, and played in the 2009 Stanley Cup Final loss to Pittsburgh.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 1
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 47
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 6
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 39
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)