Apr 13, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Most of the first round series have already been decided, but there is still one big battle for positioning to be settled today. Colorado and the St. Louis Blues each have 111 points in the battle for the Central Division title and the Avalanche control the tiebreaker.
The winner of that battle will play against the Minnesota Wild in the first round while the loser will have to start the postseason against the defending champion Chicago Blackhawks.
So the stakes are high for St. Louis going into this afternoon’s game against the Detroit Red Wings. The contest will start at 12:30 p.m. ET and can be seen on NBC or online using the link below:
St. Louis has also lost five straight games, so the team is in danger of taking a lengthy losing streak into the playoffs. The Red Wings secured their Wild Card spot thanks to a late surge, but they have slipped recently, dropping three of their last four contests.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)