Apr 13, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Most of the first round series have already been decided, but there is still one big battle for positioning to be settled today. Colorado and the St. Louis Blues each have 111 points in the battle for the Central Division title and the Avalanche control the tiebreaker.
The winner of that battle will play against the Minnesota Wild in the first round while the loser will have to start the postseason against the defending champion Chicago Blackhawks.
So the stakes are high for St. Louis going into this afternoon’s game against the Detroit Red Wings. The contest will start at 12:30 p.m. ET and can be seen on NBC or online using the link below:
St. Louis has also lost five straight games, so the team is in danger of taking a lengthy losing streak into the playoffs. The Red Wings secured their Wild Card spot thanks to a late surge, but they have slipped recently, dropping three of their last four contests.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 16
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 47
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)