Apr 13, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Most of the first round series have already been decided, but there is still one big battle for positioning to be settled today. Colorado and the St. Louis Blues each have 111 points in the battle for the Central Division title and the Avalanche control the tiebreaker.
The winner of that battle will play against the Minnesota Wild in the first round while the loser will have to start the postseason against the defending champion Chicago Blackhawks.
So the stakes are high for St. Louis going into this afternoon’s game against the Detroit Red Wings. The contest will start at 12:30 p.m. ET and can be seen on NBC or online using the link below:
St. Louis has also lost five straight games, so the team is in danger of taking a lengthy losing streak into the playoffs. The Red Wings secured their Wild Card spot thanks to a late surge, but they have slipped recently, dropping three of their last four contests.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21