Apr 13, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Most of the first round series have already been decided, but there is still one big battle for positioning to be settled today. Colorado and the St. Louis Blues each have 111 points in the battle for the Central Division title and the Avalanche control the tiebreaker.
The winner of that battle will play against the Minnesota Wild in the first round while the loser will have to start the postseason against the defending champion Chicago Blackhawks.
So the stakes are high for St. Louis going into this afternoon’s game against the Detroit Red Wings. The contest will start at 12:30 p.m. ET and can be seen on NBC or online using the link below:
St. Louis has also lost five straight games, so the team is in danger of taking a lengthy losing streak into the playoffs. The Red Wings secured their Wild Card spot thanks to a late surge, but they have slipped recently, dropping three of their last four contests.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)