Apr 13, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Most of the first round series have already been decided, but there is still one big battle for positioning to be settled today. Colorado and the St. Louis Blues each have 111 points in the battle for the Central Division title and the Avalanche control the tiebreaker.
The winner of that battle will play against the Minnesota Wild in the first round while the loser will have to start the postseason against the defending champion Chicago Blackhawks.
So the stakes are high for St. Louis going into this afternoon’s game against the Detroit Red Wings. The contest will start at 12:30 p.m. ET and can be seen on NBC or online using the link below:
St. Louis has also lost five straight games, so the team is in danger of taking a lengthy losing streak into the playoffs. The Red Wings secured their Wild Card spot thanks to a late surge, but they have slipped recently, dropping three of their last four contests.
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 9
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 10
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)