Apr 13, 2014, 11:58 PM EDT
Considering the fact that the Anaheim Ducks took the top spot in the Western Conference, fans won’t see the last of Teemu Selanne. Still, with the intensity and uncertainty of the postseason in mind, it makes sense that Ducks fans took the time to give “The Finnish Flash” their full attention in the team’s regular season finale on Sunday.
Actually, even the Colorado Avalanche took the time to tip their caps toward Selanne in an eventual 3-2 OT win for the Ducks.
Fans took plenty of opportunities to thank Selanne, including this moment:
It was also a special night for former Ducks goalie and current Avalanche backup Jean-Sebastien Giguere, who may have played in his final game. With that in mind, Selanne unsurprisingly gave “Jiggy” a slice of the spotlight (via captured by Eye on Hockey):
Thankfully, Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau provided an extra laugh or two amid all the mushy stuff:
Selanne shared a sliver of the attention when he could, but there was no mistaking who was the man of the night there: Selanne was listed as the first, second and third star of the game.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 10
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 16
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 29
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)