Apr 13, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
In what was a true team effort, Union College has established itself as NCAA national champions for the first time.
The Dutchmen earned a 7-4 victory over top-ranked Minnesota in the title game last night. Eleven different players found the back of the net between the two teams in the high-scoring affair.
After Minnesota established two early leads, Union broke out with three goals over the span of just 1:54 minutes late in the first period, courtesy of Mike Vecchione, Eli Lichtenwald, and Daniel Ciampini.
“The staple of our team all year — we come in waves,” Union captain Mat Bodie said, per NCAA.com. “All three of those goals were pack-of-wolf goals where we were just throwing the puck on net.”
Minnesota managed to keep things interesting after that, but never retook the lead. On the Gophers side of things, 20-year-old forward Justin Kloos stood out with a goal and an assist.
“He controlled the game,” Minnesota coach Don Lucia said. “From my vantage point, he was the best player on the ice [Saturday].”
Philadelphia Flyers prospect Shayne Gostisbehere also recorded a goal and two assists for Union and had a remarkable plus-seven rating.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)