Apr 13, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
In what was a true team effort, Union College has established itself as NCAA national champions for the first time.
The Dutchmen earned a 7-4 victory over top-ranked Minnesota in the title game last night. Eleven different players found the back of the net between the two teams in the high-scoring affair.
After Minnesota established two early leads, Union broke out with three goals over the span of just 1:54 minutes late in the first period, courtesy of Mike Vecchione, Eli Lichtenwald, and Daniel Ciampini.
“The staple of our team all year — we come in waves,” Union captain Mat Bodie said, per NCAA.com. “All three of those goals were pack-of-wolf goals where we were just throwing the puck on net.”
Minnesota managed to keep things interesting after that, but never retook the lead. On the Gophers side of things, 20-year-old forward Justin Kloos stood out with a goal and an assist.
“He controlled the game,” Minnesota coach Don Lucia said. “From my vantage point, he was the best player on the ice [Saturday].”
Philadelphia Flyers prospect Shayne Gostisbehere also recorded a goal and two assists for Union and had a remarkable plus-seven rating.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)