Apr 13, 2014, 9:48 AM EST
In what was a true team effort, Union College has established itself as NCAA national champions for the first time.
The Dutchmen earned a 7-4 victory over top-ranked Minnesota in the title game last night. Eleven different players found the back of the net between the two teams in the high-scoring affair.
After Minnesota established two early leads, Union broke out with three goals over the span of just 1:54 minutes late in the first period, courtesy of Mike Vecchione, Eli Lichtenwald, and Daniel Ciampini.
“The staple of our team all year — we come in waves,” Union captain Mat Bodie said, per NCAA.com. “All three of those goals were pack-of-wolf goals where we were just throwing the puck on net.”
Minnesota managed to keep things interesting after that, but never retook the lead. On the Gophers side of things, 20-year-old forward Justin Kloos stood out with a goal and an assist.
“He controlled the game,” Minnesota coach Don Lucia said. “From my vantage point, he was the best player on the ice [Saturday].”
Philadelphia Flyers prospect Shayne Gostisbehere also recorded a goal and two assists for Union and had a remarkable plus-seven rating.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)