Apr 13, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Great news, Buffalo Sabres fans: the 2013-14 season is over. That’s pretty much all the good news, though, aside from thoughts about the next draft or two.
With that out of the way, the Sabres broke an array of team records in all the wrong ways. PHT’s own Joe Yerdon shares the most embarrassing one:
Before Sunday’s game, the Buffalo News’ John Vogl pointed out the new lows the Sabres were ready to set. Here’s a quick list:
- Naturally, the Sabres also set a new low for team goals (the previous total was 190 in 2002-03).
- They’ve never had fewer double-digit goal scorers (just four, down from seven) and have never seen lower top team marks in goals, assists or points.
- Not a record here, but something to twist the “Pegulamania” knife a little deeper: Ville Leino finishes the season with zero goals and 38 shots on goal in 58 games. Oof.
So, long story short, this Sabres was one of the worst team in ages at scoring goals. At least there’s (probably) nowhere to go but up, though, right?
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)