Apr 13, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Great news, Buffalo Sabres fans: the 2013-14 season is over. That’s pretty much all the good news, though, aside from thoughts about the next draft or two.
With that out of the way, the Sabres broke an array of team records in all the wrong ways. PHT’s own Joe Yerdon shares the most embarrassing one:
Before Sunday’s game, the Buffalo News’ John Vogl pointed out the new lows the Sabres were ready to set. Here’s a quick list:
- Naturally, the Sabres also set a new low for team goals (the previous total was 190 in 2002-03).
- They’ve never had fewer double-digit goal scorers (just four, down from seven) and have never seen lower top team marks in goals, assists or points.
- Not a record here, but something to twist the “Pegulamania” knife a little deeper: Ville Leino finishes the season with zero goals and 38 shots on goal in 58 games. Oof.
So, long story short, this Sabres was one of the worst team in ages at scoring goals. At least there’s (probably) nowhere to go but up, though, right?
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 0
- WATCH LIVE: Kings at Blackhawks 4
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 4
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18