Apr 13, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Great news, Buffalo Sabres fans: the 2013-14 season is over. That’s pretty much all the good news, though, aside from thoughts about the next draft or two.
With that out of the way, the Sabres broke an array of team records in all the wrong ways. PHT’s own Joe Yerdon shares the most embarrassing one:
Before Sunday’s game, the Buffalo News’ John Vogl pointed out the new lows the Sabres were ready to set. Here’s a quick list:
- Naturally, the Sabres also set a new low for team goals (the previous total was 190 in 2002-03).
- They’ve never had fewer double-digit goal scorers (just four, down from seven) and have never seen lower top team marks in goals, assists or points.
- Not a record here, but something to twist the “Pegulamania” knife a little deeper: Ville Leino finishes the season with zero goals and 38 shots on goal in 58 games. Oof.
So, long story short, this Sabres was one of the worst team in ages at scoring goals. At least there’s (probably) nowhere to go but up, though, right?
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 1
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)