Apr 13, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Great news, Buffalo Sabres fans: the 2013-14 season is over. That’s pretty much all the good news, though, aside from thoughts about the next draft or two.
With that out of the way, the Sabres broke an array of team records in all the wrong ways. PHT’s own Joe Yerdon shares the most embarrassing one:
Before Sunday’s game, the Buffalo News’ John Vogl pointed out the new lows the Sabres were ready to set. Here’s a quick list:
- Naturally, the Sabres also set a new low for team goals (the previous total was 190 in 2002-03).
- They’ve never had fewer double-digit goal scorers (just four, down from seven) and have never seen lower top team marks in goals, assists or points.
- Not a record here, but something to twist the “Pegulamania” knife a little deeper: Ville Leino finishes the season with zero goals and 38 shots on goal in 58 games. Oof.
So, long story short, this Sabres was one of the worst team in ages at scoring goals. At least there’s (probably) nowhere to go but up, though, right?
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 10
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 23
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 22
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)