Apr 13, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
When Brendan Shanahan joined the Toronto Maple Leafs as the team’s president, it triggered a wave of speculation that Peter DeBoer would take over as the Toronto Maple Leafs’ bench boss.
Current Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle might be on his way out after overseeing the Maple Leafs’ stunning collapse and DeBoer’s contract with the New Jersey Devils is set to expire this summer. However, the Devils are closing in on an extending with their bench boss, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
DeBoer has overseen the Devils for three years and has only made the playoffs once. However, he did lead New Jersey to the Stanley Cup Final in his only postseason run with the team. New Jersey also entered the 2013-14 campaign with rather low expectations after Ilya Kovalchuk bolted and in that context, the team’s 34-29-18 record is at least respectable.
Before coming to New Jersey, he coached the Florida Panthers for three seasons and has a career 204-183-70 record.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 7
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 56
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (57)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)