Apr 13, 2014, 12:14 PM EST
When Brendan Shanahan joined the Toronto Maple Leafs as the team’s president, it triggered a wave of speculation that Peter DeBoer would take over as the Toronto Maple Leafs’ bench boss.
Current Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle might be on his way out after overseeing the Maple Leafs’ stunning collapse and DeBoer’s contract with the New Jersey Devils is set to expire this summer. However, the Devils are closing in on an extending with their bench boss, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
DeBoer has overseen the Devils for three years and has only made the playoffs once. However, he did lead New Jersey to the Stanley Cup Final in his only postseason run with the team. New Jersey also entered the 2013-14 campaign with rather low expectations after Ilya Kovalchuk bolted and in that context, the team’s 34-29-18 record is at least respectable.
Before coming to New Jersey, he coached the Florida Panthers for three seasons and has a career 204-183-70 record.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)