Apr 13, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
When Brendan Shanahan joined the Toronto Maple Leafs as the team’s president, it triggered a wave of speculation that Peter DeBoer would take over as the Toronto Maple Leafs’ bench boss.
Current Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle might be on his way out after overseeing the Maple Leafs’ stunning collapse and DeBoer’s contract with the New Jersey Devils is set to expire this summer. However, the Devils are closing in on an extending with their bench boss, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
DeBoer has overseen the Devils for three years and has only made the playoffs once. However, he did lead New Jersey to the Stanley Cup Final in his only postseason run with the team. New Jersey also entered the 2013-14 campaign with rather low expectations after Ilya Kovalchuk bolted and in that context, the team’s 34-29-18 record is at least respectable.
Before coming to New Jersey, he coached the Florida Panthers for three seasons and has a career 204-183-70 record.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 7
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 22
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 16
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)