Apr 13, 2014, 3:13 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues looked like a serious Stanley Cup contender after acquiring goaltender Ryan Miller from the Buffalo Sabres, but the mood is far less optimistic following their 3-0 loss to the Detroit Red Wings in their season finale.
The Blues closed the campaign with six straight losses and scored just five goals over that span. They were shut out for the final 143:59 minutes of the regular season.
A big part of their collapse was the result of injuries. The list of injured Blues forwards includes Patrik Berglund, Brenden Morrow, Vladimir Sobotka, T.J. Oshie, David Backes, and Vladimir Tarasenko. Either way, the Blues losing streak means that they will have to face the Chicago Blackhawks in the first round and they are a tough adversary even under the best of circumstances.
Petr Mrazek picked up the shutout for Detroit by stopping 23 Blues shots. The 22-year-old netminder made his eighth career start so that Jimmy Howard could rest before the Red Wings playoff series against Boston. Ryan Miller turned aside 18 of 21 shots for St. Louis.
Justin Abdelkader scored two goals, including the game-winner.
Pavel Datsyuk had two assists, making this his first multi-point game since he returned from a knee injury.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 35
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 55
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)