Apr 13, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues looked like a serious Stanley Cup contender after acquiring goaltender Ryan Miller from the Buffalo Sabres, but the mood is far less optimistic following their 3-0 loss to the Detroit Red Wings in their season finale.
The Blues closed the campaign with six straight losses and scored just five goals over that span. They were shut out for the final 143:59 minutes of the regular season.
A big part of their collapse was the result of injuries. The list of injured Blues forwards includes Patrik Berglund, Brenden Morrow, Vladimir Sobotka, T.J. Oshie, David Backes, and Vladimir Tarasenko. Either way, the Blues losing streak means that they will have to face the Chicago Blackhawks in the first round and they are a tough adversary even under the best of circumstances.
Petr Mrazek picked up the shutout for Detroit by stopping 23 Blues shots. The 22-year-old netminder made his eighth career start so that Jimmy Howard could rest before the Red Wings playoff series against Boston. Ryan Miller turned aside 18 of 21 shots for St. Louis.
Justin Abdelkader scored two goals, including the game-winner.
Pavel Datsyuk had two assists, making this his first multi-point game since he returned from a knee injury.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)