Apr 13, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
With the 2013-14 campaign winding to a close, a couple players reached some major milestones last night.
Joe Pavelski completed the best regular season of his career by netting his 40th and 41st goals. That’s a big jump from his previous career-high of 31 markers and he also cruised to a new personal best with 79 points in 82 games.
“It was nice (that my 40th goal) comes right away in the game,” Pavelski told NHL.com after he reached the milestone just 3:43 minutes in San Jose’s 3-2 win over Phoenix. “I could feel everyone try to pass to me, so it’s cool, but the win obviously is nice going into the playoffs. Guys feel good about themselves.”
Edmonton Oilers forward Taylor Hall can only guess at what it must be like to reach the NHL playoffs, but he gave it his all this season. The 22-year-old forward recorded three assists in Edmonton’s 5-2 victory against Vancouver last night to reach the 80-point mark for the first time in his career.
Obviously, Edmonton’s franchise single-season leaderboard is dominated by Wayne Gretzky and it would take a legend to change that, but Hall is the first Oilers player to record at least 80 points since Doug Weight in 2000-01.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 29
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)