Apr 13, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
With the 2013-14 campaign winding to a close, a couple players reached some major milestones last night.
Joe Pavelski completed the best regular season of his career by netting his 40th and 41st goals. That’s a big jump from his previous career-high of 31 markers and he also cruised to a new personal best with 79 points in 82 games.
“It was nice (that my 40th goal) comes right away in the game,” Pavelski told NHL.com after he reached the milestone just 3:43 minutes in San Jose’s 3-2 win over Phoenix. “I could feel everyone try to pass to me, so it’s cool, but the win obviously is nice going into the playoffs. Guys feel good about themselves.”
Edmonton Oilers forward Taylor Hall can only guess at what it must be like to reach the NHL playoffs, but he gave it his all this season. The 22-year-old forward recorded three assists in Edmonton’s 5-2 victory against Vancouver last night to reach the 80-point mark for the first time in his career.
Obviously, Edmonton’s franchise single-season leaderboard is dominated by Wayne Gretzky and it would take a legend to change that, but Hall is the first Oilers player to record at least 80 points since Doug Weight in 2000-01.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)