Apr 13, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
New Jersey will close out the season with Martin Brodeur in net against the Boston Bruins. Whether or not this represents the final game of the 41-year-old goaltenders career or the end of his tenure with the Devils remains to be seen.
Brodeur, who might become the first netminder to reach the 700-win mark if he plays in 2014-15, has expressed an interest in extending his career, but it’s not clear how big the market is for his services or how willing he will be to accept a backup role if that’s all that’s on the table.
If this is the end though, he will have an opportunity to close this chapter of his life with a bit of symmetry after he started his career with a victory over the Bruins on March 26, 1992.
“Last game of the year; it’s kind of nice to be able to get the start,” Brodeur told, per the Devils website. “Go from there; try to get one good last game before we finish the season.”
The game will start at 3:00 p.m. ET.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)