Apr 13, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Throughout 2013-14, Jaromir Jagr hasn’t been afraid to say when he’s unhappy with the New Jersey Devils’ play and things ultimately didn’t turn out the way he wanted.
This wasn’t a season he’ll soon forget though. In fact, the two-time Stanley Cup winner will cherish this campaign more than most.
“I’ve had a lot of good times. It was probably the most enjoyable, or one of the most enjoyable, years I’ve had,” Jagr told the Star-Ledger. “I know we didn’t make the playoffs, but I probably had the most scoring chances I’ve ever had in my hockey career. Even when I was scoring so many goals, I didn’t have this many chances. It’s tougher to score goals.
“In the last 10 games I didn’t score many, but I could’ve had two a game easily. For me, I had so much fun. We had a chance to win every game.”
Part of his glowing reviews of this season might also come from the fact that he got to play with goaltender Martin Brodeur. They spent their careers as adversaries and now that they’re on the same side, it’s clear that the future Hall of Famers have a lot of mutual respect. Brodeur feels that Jagr is the top player he ever played against, while Jagr doesn’t think anyone will ever replicate what Brodeur’s accomplished.
“It’s been special,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said of the opportunity to lead Jagr and Brodeur. “I look at it as an opportunity of a lifetime … a great honor and a great pleasure.”
Although both of them have expressed an interest in extending their careers, this afternoon’s game against Boston might be Brodeur and Jagr’s last. If it is though, that’s not on the 42-year-old forward’s mind.
As he put it, “Go and ask someone who is 70 or older: ‘Do you think about the fact tomorrow might be your last day in life?’”
It’s inevitable that his career will have an ending, but for now he’s enjoying the ride.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:30 AM EST
L.A. has won only once away from Staples Center this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:34 AM EST
Edmonton lost 7-1 on home ice. Six straight losses.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:01 AM EST
Nov 23, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
Washington lost out on a chance for three straight wins.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:01 AM EST
These teams play against Dec. 27.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:23 PM EST
Struggling is an understatement.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:56 PM EST
Meanwhile, Edmonton at risk of losing six straight.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 9:56 PM EST
New York takes both games of home-and-home set with Pittsburgh.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:23 PM EST
Difficult news for Washington.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:13 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
Dealt with injury last season.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EST
Fight didn’t last long.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EST
“This is the biggest thing I’ve ever seen in my life with Toronto.”
Nov 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
Dallas has moved a trio of blue liners recently.
Nov 22, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
“Let the referees do their job, we’ll do our job.”
Nov 22, 2014, 6:31 PM EST
The St. Louis defender had an assist on the eventual winner.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
Conflicting ideas on whether it was a fight or not.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:27 PM EST
In the rain, too, apparently.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
“They embarrassed us pretty good in their building.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 5
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)