Apr 13, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Throughout 2013-14, Jaromir Jagr hasn’t been afraid to say when he’s unhappy with the New Jersey Devils’ play and things ultimately didn’t turn out the way he wanted.
This wasn’t a season he’ll soon forget though. In fact, the two-time Stanley Cup winner will cherish this campaign more than most.
“I’ve had a lot of good times. It was probably the most enjoyable, or one of the most enjoyable, years I’ve had,” Jagr told the Star-Ledger. “I know we didn’t make the playoffs, but I probably had the most scoring chances I’ve ever had in my hockey career. Even when I was scoring so many goals, I didn’t have this many chances. It’s tougher to score goals.
“In the last 10 games I didn’t score many, but I could’ve had two a game easily. For me, I had so much fun. We had a chance to win every game.”
Part of his glowing reviews of this season might also come from the fact that he got to play with goaltender Martin Brodeur. They spent their careers as adversaries and now that they’re on the same side, it’s clear that the future Hall of Famers have a lot of mutual respect. Brodeur feels that Jagr is the top player he ever played against, while Jagr doesn’t think anyone will ever replicate what Brodeur’s accomplished.
“It’s been special,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said of the opportunity to lead Jagr and Brodeur. “I look at it as an opportunity of a lifetime … a great honor and a great pleasure.”
Although both of them have expressed an interest in extending their careers, this afternoon’s game against Boston might be Brodeur and Jagr’s last. If it is though, that’s not on the 42-year-old forward’s mind.
As he put it, “Go and ask someone who is 70 or older: ‘Do you think about the fact tomorrow might be your last day in life?'”
It’s inevitable that his career will have an ending, but for now he’s enjoying the ride.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He’s wise to be patient with Carey Price cemented in the No. 1 spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
They previously visited Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Daniel Paille still looks for work.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $950K.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Friday’s interesting tidbits in one spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)