Apr 13, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Throughout 2013-14, Jaromir Jagr hasn’t been afraid to say when he’s unhappy with the New Jersey Devils’ play and things ultimately didn’t turn out the way he wanted.
This wasn’t a season he’ll soon forget though. In fact, the two-time Stanley Cup winner will cherish this campaign more than most.
“I’ve had a lot of good times. It was probably the most enjoyable, or one of the most enjoyable, years I’ve had,” Jagr told the Star-Ledger. “I know we didn’t make the playoffs, but I probably had the most scoring chances I’ve ever had in my hockey career. Even when I was scoring so many goals, I didn’t have this many chances. It’s tougher to score goals.
“In the last 10 games I didn’t score many, but I could’ve had two a game easily. For me, I had so much fun. We had a chance to win every game.”
Part of his glowing reviews of this season might also come from the fact that he got to play with goaltender Martin Brodeur. They spent their careers as adversaries and now that they’re on the same side, it’s clear that the future Hall of Famers have a lot of mutual respect. Brodeur feels that Jagr is the top player he ever played against, while Jagr doesn’t think anyone will ever replicate what Brodeur’s accomplished.
“It’s been special,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said of the opportunity to lead Jagr and Brodeur. “I look at it as an opportunity of a lifetime … a great honor and a great pleasure.”
Although both of them have expressed an interest in extending their careers, this afternoon’s game against Boston might be Brodeur and Jagr’s last. If it is though, that’s not on the 42-year-old forward’s mind.
As he put it, “Go and ask someone who is 70 or older: ‘Do you think about the fact tomorrow might be your last day in life?'”
It’s inevitable that his career will have an ending, but for now he’s enjoying the ride.
May 22, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
Leon Draisaitl’s late goal can’t turn the tide.
May 22, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Keith Yandle got his first marker of the playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Will we see more goals like that from him before the playoffs are over?
May 22, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
All three of their teams are still in the running for the Stanley Cup.
May 22, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
San Jose has been linked to several high profile coaches.
May 22, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT
He was credited with turning around the Red Wings’ power play.
May 22, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Will New York be able to contain Tampa Bay this time around?
May 22, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
“No one wants to back up. Everyone wants to play.”
May 22, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
Not only did the Ducks block 27 shots last night, they clogged up the neutral zone too.
May 22, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Can’t imagine Teuvo Teravainen was, either.
May 22, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Canucks GM witnessed the goalie get a shutout in the AHL playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
Coach Q: “He’ll need a few days out here. We’ll get an evaluation and go from there.”
May 22, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Son of ex-NHLer Brian is off to Boston University next year.
May 22, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
“It’s been real special, to say the least.”
May 22, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT
The third ‘tender taken at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft had a rough first pro season in North America.
May 22, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Finnish forward joined the organization last year after solid production in the SM-liiga.
May 22, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
That’s him, with Vladimir Putin.
May 22, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
No word on who’ll draw in as a replacement.
May 22, 2015, 11:40 AM EDT
No word yet if he’ll be able to play right away.
May 22, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
We really need to get these combos better nicknames, though.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)