Apr 13, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
Those rumors about Peter DeBoer coaching the Toronto Maple Leafs next season can end. New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamorello said that he has signed DeBoer through the 2014-15 campaign.
This follows a report that the two sides were close to signing an extension, although it sounds like the ink on that agreement has been dry for a while now.
“There are rumors going on, a lot of misinformation about our coach,” Lamorello said, per the Star-Ledger. “So I thought I’d get really out of character and put this to rest. Pete DeBoer is under contract for next year, has been under contract for next year and will be coaching next year.
“That’s all I have to say. We usually wait to make any announcements about anything.”
DeBoer led the Devils to the Stanley Cup Final in his first campaign with the team. The Devils have fallen under hard times since then though as they lost Zach Parise in the summer of 2012 and Ilya Kovalchuk the following year. With two of the franchise’s greatest scorers gone, expectations were low going into the 2013-14 campaign, but DeBoer managed to keep things interesting for the most part, leading the Devils to a 34-29-18 record.
It’s worth adding that New Jersey has gone 0-13 in shootouts this season, which is the main reason for the Devils missing the playoffs.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)