Apr 13, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
Those rumors about Peter DeBoer coaching the Toronto Maple Leafs next season can end. New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamorello said that he has signed DeBoer through the 2014-15 campaign.
This follows a report that the two sides were close to signing an extension, although it sounds like the ink on that agreement has been dry for a while now.
“There are rumors going on, a lot of misinformation about our coach,” Lamorello said, per the Star-Ledger. “So I thought I’d get really out of character and put this to rest. Pete DeBoer is under contract for next year, has been under contract for next year and will be coaching next year.
“That’s all I have to say. We usually wait to make any announcements about anything.”
DeBoer led the Devils to the Stanley Cup Final in his first campaign with the team. The Devils have fallen under hard times since then though as they lost Zach Parise in the summer of 2012 and Ilya Kovalchuk the following year. With two of the franchise’s greatest scorers gone, expectations were low going into the 2013-14 campaign, but DeBoer managed to keep things interesting for the most part, leading the Devils to a 34-29-18 record.
It’s worth adding that New Jersey has gone 0-13 in shootouts this season, which is the main reason for the Devils missing the playoffs.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)