Apr 13, 2014, 4:07 PM EST
Those rumors about Peter DeBoer coaching the Toronto Maple Leafs next season can end. New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamorello said that he has signed DeBoer through the 2014-15 campaign.
This follows a report that the two sides were close to signing an extension, although it sounds like the ink on that agreement has been dry for a while now.
“There are rumors going on, a lot of misinformation about our coach,” Lamorello said, per the Star-Ledger. “So I thought I’d get really out of character and put this to rest. Pete DeBoer is under contract for next year, has been under contract for next year and will be coaching next year.
“That’s all I have to say. We usually wait to make any announcements about anything.”
DeBoer led the Devils to the Stanley Cup Final in his first campaign with the team. The Devils have fallen under hard times since then though as they lost Zach Parise in the summer of 2012 and Ilya Kovalchuk the following year. With two of the franchise’s greatest scorers gone, expectations were low going into the 2013-14 campaign, but DeBoer managed to keep things interesting for the most part, leading the Devils to a 34-29-18 record.
It’s worth adding that New Jersey has gone 0-13 in shootouts this season, which is the main reason for the Devils missing the playoffs.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 48
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (137)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)