Apr 13, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
Those rumors about Peter DeBoer coaching the Toronto Maple Leafs next season can end. New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamorello said that he has signed DeBoer through the 2014-15 campaign.
This follows a report that the two sides were close to signing an extension, although it sounds like the ink on that agreement has been dry for a while now.
“There are rumors going on, a lot of misinformation about our coach,” Lamorello said, per the Star-Ledger. “So I thought I’d get really out of character and put this to rest. Pete DeBoer is under contract for next year, has been under contract for next year and will be coaching next year.
“That’s all I have to say. We usually wait to make any announcements about anything.”
DeBoer led the Devils to the Stanley Cup Final in his first campaign with the team. The Devils have fallen under hard times since then though as they lost Zach Parise in the summer of 2012 and Ilya Kovalchuk the following year. With two of the franchise’s greatest scorers gone, expectations were low going into the 2013-14 campaign, but DeBoer managed to keep things interesting for the most part, leading the Devils to a 34-29-18 record.
It’s worth adding that New Jersey has gone 0-13 in shootouts this season, which is the main reason for the Devils missing the playoffs.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)