Apr 13, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
With the Florida’s season over, 21-year-old forward Nick Bjugstad has secured his spot in the record books, although the Panthers might wish that he hadn’t.
Bjugstad was the team’s leading scoring with 38 points in 76 games. That makes him the first rookie to ever lead the organization in points.
Of course, that’s only possible because his competition set the bar so low. Which leads us to the other record he broke. As we mentioned earlier this week, the all-time worst team scoring leader in an 82-game season recorded 39 points. Or at least that was the case on Friday.
Scott Pellerin was the old record holder when he had 39 points in 58 games with the Minnesota Wild during their 2000-01 expansion season.
“I did what I could do this season and it is what it is as far as the record goes,” said Bjugstad, per the Miami Herald.
“It’s not one you think of very often so I hope it stays pretty deep in the books. … It’s not an honor obviously, but it’s my rookie year. I did my best and I learned a lot.”
Although his name will be associated with the dubious distinction, this record was really a team effort. The fault doesn’t lie with the rookie that got 38 points.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)