Apr 13, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
With the Florida’s season over, 21-year-old forward Nick Bjugstad has secured his spot in the record books, although the Panthers might wish that he hadn’t.
Bjugstad was the team’s leading scoring with 38 points in 76 games. That makes him the first rookie to ever lead the organization in points.
Of course, that’s only possible because his competition set the bar so low. Which leads us to the other record he broke. As we mentioned earlier this week, the all-time worst team scoring leader in an 82-game season recorded 39 points. Or at least that was the case on Friday.
Scott Pellerin was the old record holder when he had 39 points in 58 games with the Minnesota Wild during their 2000-01 expansion season.
“I did what I could do this season and it is what it is as far as the record goes,” said Bjugstad, per the Miami Herald.
“It’s not one you think of very often so I hope it stays pretty deep in the books. … It’s not an honor obviously, but it’s my rookie year. I did my best and I learned a lot.”
Although his name will be associated with the dubious distinction, this record was really a team effort. The fault doesn’t lie with the rookie that got 38 points.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)