Apr 12, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT
In his second game back after suffering a stroke, Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Kris Letang managed to score a goal. He also got into a scuffle with Philadelphia Flyers winger Scott Hartnell, which spawned an … interesting set of comments.
Here’s video of the altercation:
At first, it seemed like Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma was blasting Hartnell for the incident, prompting Flyers head coach Craig Berube to provide a reasonable counter:
Apparently the situation is more inflammatory in that context than it was in reality, as it appears that Bylsma didn’t actually mean it:
So, crisis averted? Probably, but that doesn’t mean these two teams (or those two players or the two head coaches) necessarily like each other.
Let’s all file this away in case there’s a second-round series between the Flyers and Penguins, though. You know, just to be safe.
Update: Here is the full Bylsma quote via the Canadian Press:
“I did have that thought when that was going on there,” Bylsma said. “(Letang) kind of had the play there and the puck on his skate to try to score a goal. It fell off his stick and the whistle and everything ensued after that. Yeah it does, a guy picking on a guy who had a stroke.”
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (59)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)