Apr 12, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT
In his second game back after suffering a stroke, Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Kris Letang managed to score a goal. He also got into a scuffle with Philadelphia Flyers winger Scott Hartnell, which spawned an … interesting set of comments.
Here’s video of the altercation:
At first, it seemed like Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma was blasting Hartnell for the incident, prompting Flyers head coach Craig Berube to provide a reasonable counter:
Apparently the situation is more inflammatory in that context than it was in reality, as it appears that Bylsma didn’t actually mean it:
So, crisis averted? Probably, but that doesn’t mean these two teams (or those two players or the two head coaches) necessarily like each other.
Let’s all file this away in case there’s a second-round series between the Flyers and Penguins, though. You know, just to be safe.
Update: Here is the full Bylsma quote via the Canadian Press:
“I did have that thought when that was going on there,” Bylsma said. “(Letang) kind of had the play there and the puck on his skate to try to score a goal. It fell off his stick and the whistle and everything ensued after that. Yeah it does, a guy picking on a guy who had a stroke.”
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 74
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)